1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the KE of the following particles that each have a de Broglie wavelength of

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1
    Find the kinetic energy of the following particles that each have a de Broglie wavelength of 0.50 nm.?

(a) photons
    ____eV = 2480eV
    (b) electrons
    ____eV
    (c) neutrons
    ____eV
    (d) α particles
    ____eV

i know E= hc/wavelength which = a and after that im stuck i know that the wavelength = h/p but i dont know how to solve the others with this

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2011 #2
    Re: Find the KE of the following particles that each have a de Broglie wavelength of

i found be by taking hc/ lamda squared and dividing it by the momemtum squared

4. Oct 9, 2011 #3
    Re: Find the KE of the following particles that each have a de Broglie wavelength of

momentum p,
    p = h/[itex]\lambda[/itex]

total energy E :
    E[itex]^{2}[/itex] = p[itex]^{2}[/itex]c[itex]^{2}[/itex] + m[itex]_{o}[/itex] [itex]^{2}[/itex]c[itex]^{4}[/itex]

KE = E - m[itex]_{o}[/itex]c[itex]^{2}[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook