What is the kinetic energy of particles with a de Broglie wavelength of 0.50 nm?

In summary, the formula for calculating kinetic energy (KE) is KE = 1/2 * mass * velocity^2. You can determine the mass of a particle with a given de Broglie wavelength by using the de Broglie wavelength formula: λ = h/mv, where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass, and v is the velocity. The unit of measurement for de Broglie wavelength is meters (m). The kinetic energy of a particle cannot be negative as it is a property of matter and is calculated using the momentum of the particle. Changing the de Broglie wavelength will affect the kinetic energy of a particle by changing its velocity. As the wavelength decreases, the
thatoneguy123
Find the kinetic energy of the following particles that each have a de Broglie wavelength of 0.50 nm.?

(a) photons
____eV = 2480eV
(b) electrons
____eV
(c) neutrons
____eV
(d) α particles
____eV

i know E= hc/wavelength which = a and after that I am stuck i know that the wavelength = h/p but i don't know how to solve the others with this

Physics news on Phys.org

i found be by taking hc/ lamda squared and dividing it by the momentum squared

momentum p,
p = h/[itex]\lambda[/itex]

total energy E :
E[itex]^{2}[/itex] = p[itex]^{2}[/itex]c[itex]^{2}[/itex] + m[itex]_{o}[/itex] [itex]^{2}[/itex]c[itex]^{4}[/itex]

KE = E - m[itex]_{o}[/itex]c[itex]^{2}[/itex]

1. What is the formula for calculating kinetic energy (KE)?

The formula for calculating KE is KE = 1/2 * mass * velocity^2.

2. How do you determine the mass of a particle with a given de Broglie wavelength?

You can determine the mass of a particle with a given de Broglie wavelength by using the de Broglie wavelength formula: λ = h/mv, where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass, and v is the velocity.

3. What is the unit of measurement for de Broglie wavelength?

The unit of measurement for de Broglie wavelength is meters (m).

4. Can the kinetic energy of a particle with a de Broglie wavelength be negative?

No, the kinetic energy of a particle cannot be negative. The de Broglie wavelength is a property of matter and is calculated using the momentum of the particle, which cannot be negative.

5. How does changing the de Broglie wavelength affect the kinetic energy of a particle?

Changing the de Broglie wavelength will affect the kinetic energy of a particle by changing its velocity. As the wavelength decreases, the velocity increases, resulting in a higher kinetic energy. As the wavelength increases, the velocity decreases, resulting in a lower kinetic energy.