Find the Lagrangian of an unwinding pendulum

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion regarding the origin for polar coordinates and the simplicity of finding the kinetic energy expression using Cartesian coordinates. It is suggested to use the kinetic and potential energies expressed in terms of theta and its time derivative to solve the problem. The position of the bead in Cartesian coordinates is also provided to find the velocity.
mishima
Homework Statement
See image
Relevant Equations
L=T-V, ke=1/2mv^2

I think my confusion on this is where the best origin for polar coordinates is. I've tried the center of the circle, and note the triangle made from the r coordinate reaching out to ##m, a,## and ##l+a\theta##. Then

$$r=\sqrt{a^2+(l+a\theta)^2}$$
$$\dot r = \frac {a(l+a\theta)} {\sqrt{a^2+(l+a\theta)^2}}$$

but my book has a much simpler expression for T where ##\dot r = 0##...I am missing some crucial insight.

Physics news on Phys.org
mishima said:
I think my confusion on this is where the best origin for polar coordinates is.
You should not be using polar coordinates. All you need to know is the kinetic and potential energies of the system expressed in terms of ##\theta## and its time derivative. You can do this by writing down the position of the bead as a function of ##\theta## in Cartesian coordinates and differentiating it to find the velocity.

Likes mishima

From that I was able to get

$$x=(l+a\theta) sin\theta + a cos\theta$$
$$y=-(l+a\theta) cos\theta + a sin\theta$$

and so the ##(\dot x^2 + \dot y^2)## term in the kinetic energy was just ##(l+a\theta)^2\dot \theta^2##!

Thanks so much.

1. What is a Lagrangian?

A Lagrangian is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a physical system. It takes into account the kinetic and potential energy of the system and is used to determine the equations of motion.

2. How does a pendulum relate to the concept of a Lagrangian?

A pendulum is a physical system that can be described using a Lagrangian. The Lagrangian of a pendulum takes into account the mass of the pendulum, its position, and its velocity, as well as the force of gravity acting on it.

3. What is an unwinding pendulum?

An unwinding pendulum is a pendulum that is not constrained to move in a fixed plane. Instead, it is free to rotate in any direction, making it a more complex system to analyze using a Lagrangian.

4. Why is it important to find the Lagrangian of an unwinding pendulum?

Finding the Lagrangian of an unwinding pendulum allows us to accurately predict its motion and understand how different factors, such as the mass or length of the pendulum, affect its behavior. This can have practical applications in fields such as engineering and physics.

5. What are the steps to finding the Lagrangian of an unwinding pendulum?

The steps to finding the Lagrangian of an unwinding pendulum include defining the variables and parameters of the system, determining the kinetic and potential energy equations, and then using the Lagrangian equation to combine these equations and obtain the final Lagrangian function.