Find the laplace transform of log[x]

In summary, the Laplace transform of log[x] requires the function to be piecewise continuous and of exponential order. The existence of the transform is possible by setting the lower limit to a small value and taking the limit to 0. However, it is not a closed form expression and requires further integration.
mathelord
how do i find the laplace transform of log[x]

Physics news on Phys.org
The Laplace transform of [itex]\log t[/itex] is

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}e^{-st} \log t dt[/tex]

i know that but i tink the final answer is infinity,thats ridiculus,so i need confirmation

I don't think there is a "closed form" expression for the integral but the integral should be finite since log x integrates to x log x - x which goes to 0 as x -> 0.

I don't think that this Laplace transform exists. A necessary condition for the existence of the Laplace transform of [itex]f(t)[/itex] is that [itex]f[/itex] be continuous on [itex]0 \leq t < \infty[/itex], but [itex]\log(t)[/itex] isn't even defined at [itex]t=0[/itex].

The condition for the existence of the Laplace Transform is that function must be piecewise continuous and of exponential order. In short, it has to be integrable.

Tide said:
piecewise continuous
Right, but the interval has to include [itex]t=0[/itex], where the integrand has a vertical asymptote. Doesn't that screw things up?

Last edited:
Tom Mattson said:
Right, but the interval has to include [itex]t=0[/itex], where the integrand has an infinite discontinuity. Doesn't that screw things up?

Yes, the fact that the discontinuity occurs at t = 0 poses a problem but you can define the Laplace transform by setting the lower limit to [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] and passing to the limit 0.

In fact, we know that the integral

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}\ln x e^{-x} dx = -\gamma[/tex]

is just the Euler-Mascheroni constant. We can use this result to evaluate the Laplace transform:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} \ln t e^{-st} dt = \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{-\ln s +\ln x}{s}e^{-x}dx[/tex]

with the result

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} \ln t e^{-st} dt = - \frac {\ln s + \gamma}{s}[/tex]

which wasn't as bad as I first thought it would be!

1. What is the definition of the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function of time into a function of frequency. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems in the frequency domain.

2. How do you find the Laplace transform of a function?

To find the Laplace transform of a function, you need to follow these steps: 1) Identify the function and make sure it meets the criteria for a Laplace transform (i.e. it is a piecewise continuous function with exponential order), 2) Apply any necessary algebraic transformations to simplify the function, 3) Look up the Laplace transform of each term in a table or use the definition of the Laplace transform, and 4) Combine the individual Laplace transforms to get the final result.

3. What is the Laplace transform of log[x]?

The Laplace transform of log[x] is 1/s, where s is the complex variable used in the Laplace transform.

4. How is the Laplace transform of log[x] useful in applications?

The Laplace transform of log[x] is useful in solving differential equations involving logarithmic functions. It is also used in signal processing and control theory to analyze systems with logarithmic inputs or outputs.

5. Can you provide an example of using the Laplace transform to solve a real-world problem involving log[x]?

Sure, one example is using the Laplace transform to solve a circuit with a logarithmic resistor. By applying the Laplace transform to the circuit equations, we can easily find the voltage and current in the circuit as a function of time, which can help us analyze and design the circuit more efficiently.