Find the length of the curve

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the length of a curve given by the formula x = 3y^{4/3}-((3/32)y^{2/3}) and the range of values for y. The integral to be used is discussed and it is suggested to expand and simplify the formula to make it easier to integrate. However, it is later discovered that the integral is not possible to solve using elementary functions and a numerical solution is suggested. The conversation also touches on the importance of continuity in solving an integral and the incorrect use of a formula that leads to a negative result.
Caldus
Can't seem to finish this problem:

Find the length of the curve:

[tex]x = 3y^{4/3}-((3/32)y^{2/3})[/tex]

And -343 <= y <= 125.

I used the formula:

[tex]\int_{a}^{b}\ (1 + (x')^{2})^{1/2}dx[/tex]
[tex]\int_{-343}^{125}\ (1+(4y^{1/3}-(1/16)y^{-1/2})^{2})^{1/2}dx[/tex]

But how do you find this integral? Is this even the right integral to use? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you want [itex]\left(y'\right)^2[/itex] under ther radical. Then use the relationship between x and y to find y in terms of x from which you can find y'(x) and you should be able to complete the integration.

But isn't it just easier to do it the way I did (since it is given that y is between two values and not x)?

Have you tried expanding it out?

can i suggest a calculator?

What do you mean by expanding it out?

And the calculator will not give me an answer since 0 is not in the domain of y^(-1/3)...

When I said expand out I mean like this:

[tex]\left(1+\left(4y^{\frac{1}{3}}-\frac{1}{16}y^{-\frac{1}{2}}\right)^{2}\right)^{\frac{1}{2}} = \left(1 + 16y^{\frac{2}{3}} - \frac{1}{2}y^{-\frac{1}{6}} + \frac{1}{128}y^{-1}\right)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

Anyway I messed about with this and found it wasn't intergratable in terms of elementary functions sorry. Which is a bit of a shame as both your limits are cubes so their were some nice substitutions I tried 1st. I tried rearranging it as [itex]y=f(x)[/itex] and found that [itex]1 + y'^2[/itex] wasn't intergratable in terms of elementary functions as well.

Any way it occurred to me while I was coming up with a numerical solution that the function is not continuous at y=0 therefore the integral doesn't exist at y=0

So then how do I go about coming up with a numerical solution to it? Am I going to have to use limits?

Caldus said:
So then how do I go about coming up with a numerical solution to it? Am I going to have to use limits?
There is no numerical solution, your function isn't continuous for [itex]y \leq 0[/tex]

Have you tried getting to plot it out? You'll notice generally for y<0 your function isn't even real.

It has been suggested repeatedly that you "multiply it out". Did you even try that?

The whole point is this: [itex]\frac{dx}{dy}= 4y^{\frac{1}{3}}-\frac{1}{16}y^{\frac{-1}{3}}[/itex]. so [itex]\(\frac{dx}{dy}\)^2= 16y^{\frac{2}{3}}- 1/2+ \frac{1}{256}y^{\frac{-2}{3}}[/itex].

Now add 1 to that and the only change is that the "-1/2" in the middle becomes "+1/2". What's the square root of that?

I can't figure it out. What is the square root of it? Do you try to form a perfect square with it all or what?

Oh wait I think I know what you mean now. You just complete the square or whatever and then cancel out the square with the square root. So now I can do the integral. Problem is that I get a negative answer which doesn't make sense for the length of an arc. :\

Guess I'm still doing it wrong. Here's exactly what I did:

[tex]\int_{-343}^{125}\ (1+16y^{\frac{2}{3}}- 1/2+ \frac{1}{256}y^{\frac{-2}{3}})^{1/2}dx[/tex]

[tex]\int_{-343}^{125}\ (16y^{\frac{2}{3}}+ 1/2+ \frac{1}{256}y^{\frac{-2}{3}})^{1/2}dx[/tex]

[tex]\int_{-343}^{125}\ ((4y^{1/3}+(1/16)y^{-1/2})^{2})^{1/2}dx[/tex]

[tex]\int_{-343}^{125}\ 4y^{1/3}+(1/16)y^{-1/2}dx[/tex]

And then from there I got a negative answer and it's incorrect according to this program I'm using. :\

Well, there is one obvious mistake:

That "[itex]y^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/itex]" should be "[itex]y^{-\frac{1}{3}}[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that was a typo. I actually used y^1/3 there. My final answer ended up being -5330.25 which makes no sense. :\

How can an arclength be negative? Is that even possible?

1. What is meant by "finding the length of the curve"?

When we talk about finding the length of a curve, we are referring to the process of calculating the distance along a curve between two points. This is often done in mathematics and physics to determine the distance traveled by an object along a curved path.

2. How is the length of a curve calculated?

The length of a curve can be calculated using a mathematical method called integration. This involves breaking the curve into small segments and summing the lengths of each segment to get an overall approximation of the curve's length. As the number of segments increases, the accuracy of the calculation also improves.

3. What factors affect the accuracy of the calculated curve length?

The accuracy of the calculated curve length can be affected by the number of segments used in the integration process, as well as the complexity of the curve itself. For complex curves, a larger number of segments may be needed to get an accurate measurement.

4. Can the length of a curve be negative?

No, the length of a curve cannot be negative. The concept of length implies a distance or magnitude, which is always positive. However, when using certain mathematical methods to calculate curve length, the result may be negative due to the direction of the curve. In these cases, the negative sign can be ignored and the absolute value of the length is taken.

5. What real-world applications does finding the length of a curve have?

Finding the length of a curve has many real-world applications, including calculating the distance traveled by objects along a curved path in physics, determining the perimeter of irregularly shaped objects in engineering and construction, and measuring the length of rivers or coastlines in geography and cartography.