Solving IVPs with Unstable Functions

• Thread starter Feodalherren
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ivp Limit
In summary: The x-->Infinity is really just saying that a solution running through the point will go towards one of its asymptotes. It took me awhile to understand this back when I took DEs but the focus is on the y-value of the condition and y-value of asymptotes, not so much the x value
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

http://s14.postimg.org/an6f4t2ht/Untitled.png
Untitled.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what they want me to do on the last part. I tried some googling and looking in my textbooks but I didn't find any examples.
It seems to me like the function goes to infinity if it's unstable as x -> inf.

Can somebody explain to me what exactly they want me to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
My suggestion would be that you actually solve the equation!
It is just [tex]\frac{dy}{y(y- 2)(y- 4)}= dx[/tex] so integrate both sides, using "Partial Fractions" on the left.

Likes Feodalherren
You have to consider the y value which the initial point passes through. In this case it passes through y = 3.

Once you figure this, see which asymptotes it lies between. Do you think it will approach the stable or unstable one?

The x-->Infinity is really just saying that a solution running through the point will go towards one of its asymptotes. It took me awhile to understand this back when I took DEs but the focus is on the y-value of the condition and y-value of asymptotes, not so much the x value

These implicit questions want you to understand the end behavior of the derivative without necessary knowing the explicit form of y(x)

Likes Feodalherren
I'm not sure I still really understand it, but at least I know what to do. Thanks!

Feodalherren said:
I'm not sure I still really understand it, but at least I know what to do. Thanks!

image003.gif

If you look at the picture, there are different solution curves based on the points which the curve passes through (IVP). As x goes to infinity, the curves will go toward or away an equilibrium point. In this case equilibrium points are y = 2, - 1, - 2. They are called equilibrium points because if the initial value y(x) = one of the equilibrium points, the solution will go toward that asymptote even if it is an unstable asymptote (these are straight lines going through each curve).

Try answering these:
1. Which are stable, unstable, and semistable?
2. What will y approach as x - - >
infinity and y(0) = 2
3. What will y approach as x - - > infinity and y(4) = 0

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
My suggestion would be that you actually solve the equation!
It is just [tex]\frac{dy}{y(y- 2)(y- 4)}= dx[/tex] so integrate both sides, using "Partial Fractions" on the left.

IMHO :olduhh: Always nice when you can, but isn't it more important and more often applicable and useful to be able to give these answers without solving the equation, because most times you can't?

I don't think the question/questioners were looking for the solution; the student could add it as afterthought to his answer to show off. :biggrin:

1. What is an IVP?

An IVP, or initial value problem, is a mathematical problem that involves finding a function that satisfies a given differential equation and a set of initial conditions. The initial conditions specify the value of the function at a specific point, usually denoted as x = a.

2. How do I find the limit of a given IVP?

To find the limit of a given IVP, you must first solve the differential equation using techniques such as separation of variables or substitution. Then, plug in the initial conditions to find the constant of integration. Finally, take the limit of the function as x approaches the specified value.

3. What is the significance of finding the limit of a given IVP?

Finding the limit of a given IVP allows us to understand the behavior of a function at a specific point. This is useful in many applications, such as predicting the growth or decay of a population, or understanding the behavior of a physical system.

4. Are there any limitations to finding the limit of a given IVP?

Yes, there are limitations to finding the limit of a given IVP. This method only works for certain types of differential equations, such as first-order separable equations. Additionally, the solution may not exist or be unique for certain initial conditions.

5. Can I use technology to find the limit of a given IVP?

Yes, you can use technology such as graphing calculators or computer software to solve the differential equation and find the limit of a given IVP. However, it is important to understand the underlying mathematical concepts and not solely rely on technology for the solution.