Find the limit of the sequence n^3/(2n^3 + n)

In summary, the limit for the sequence n^3/(2*n^3 + n) as n approaches infinity is 1/2. To justify this result using the definition of limit, we divide the numerator and denominator by n^3 to get 1/(2+1/n^2). Then, we find an N for every epsilon such that for n>N, the expression is less than epsilon. By choosing an N greater than 1/(2*sqrt(epsilon)), we can show that the limit is valid for any epsilon.
walter9459

Homework Statement

Find the limit for the following sequence and then use the definition of limit to justify your result.

Homework Equations

n^3/(2*n^3 + n)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the limit as n --> infinity is 1/2. I think the next step is to set up the equation as follows:

n^3/(2*n^3 + n) = 1/2

But then I'm not sure if I should add n+1 to each side.

Physics news on Phys.org

Don't do any such thing. Look at the definition of a limit. Divide numerator and denominator of your expression by n^3. So you have 1/(2+1/n^2). Now you want to find an N for every epsilon such that n>N implies |1/(2+1/n^2)-1/2|<epsilon for any epsilon however small. Isn't that what the definition of limit said? Can you do that?

okay, I came up with 1/(2+1/n^2) which is where I came up the idea that the limit as n---->infinity is 1/2. But then if I set it to be < epsilon. How do you know what epsilon should be? I am really struggling with this concept. I appreciate your help and patience.

Think of epsilon as a really small positive number. You want to find an N so large that 1/2-1/(2+1/n^2)<epsilon for n>N. If you do the algebra that's 1/(4N^2+2)<epsilon. Since 1/(4N^2+2)<1/(4N^2) if 1/(4N^2)<epsilon then you have a good N. I would pick an N bigger than 1/(2*sqrt(epsilon)). Do you see why? If you can find an N for every epsilon then the limit is valid.

1. What is the limit of the given sequence?

The limit of the sequence n^3/(2n^3 + n) as n approaches infinity is 1/2.

2. How do you find the limit of this sequence?

To find the limit of the sequence n^3/(2n^3 + n), we can apply the rules of limit evaluation, such as factoring, simplifying, and using L'Hopital's rule if necessary.

3. What does the limit of a sequence represent?

The limit of a sequence represents the value that the terms of the sequence approach as the index (n) approaches infinity.

4. Is the given sequence convergent or divergent?

The given sequence is convergent, as it has a finite limit of 1/2 as n approaches infinity.

5. Can the limit of a sequence be negative?

Yes, the limit of a sequence can be negative, as long as the terms of the sequence eventually approach that negative value as the index (n) approaches infinity.