Find Limit of Function: Homework Statement, Equations & Solution

• Thread starter daveronan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the limit of the function (1+z/w)^w as w approaches infinity is z. This is found by rearranging the function into the form of ln(1+z/w)/1/w and using l'Hopital's rule to simplify it to -z/(w+z)+ln(1+z/w). Multiplying this by -(w+z) results in the answer of z.
daveronan

Homework Statement

Find the limit of the following function

lim w→∞ (1 + z/w)w

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

lim w→∞ w ln(1 + z/w)

Not sure where to go next...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I've tried l'Hopitals rule, but I don't think I'm any closer.

Can you show how you tried l'Hopital's rule? Because I tried it and it worked.

w/(1 + z/w) + 1/ln(1 +z/w)

I think I may have forgot the chain rule...

w ln(1 + z/w) has the form infinity*0. You'll want to arrange it into an infinity/infinity form before you do l'Hopital. Can you show how you tried to apply it?

Dick said:
w ln(1 + z/w) has the form infinity*0. You'll want to arrange it into an infinity/infinity form before you do l'Hopital. Can you show how you tried to apply it?

lim w→∞ w.ln(1/w*(w+z))

After l'Hopital I'm getting lim w → ∞ ( -z/(w+z) + ln(1 + z/w))

This doesn't seem to help, not unless I'm doing something stupid.

daveronan said:
lim w→∞ w.ln(1/w*(w+z))

That's still infinity*0. Try rearranging it into [itex]\frac{ln(1+\frac{z}{w})}{\frac{1}{w}}[/itex]. That's 0/0.

daveronan said:
After l'Hopital I'm getting lim w → ∞ ( -z/(w+z) + ln(1 + z/w))

This doesn't seem to help, not unless I'm doing something stupid.

I've done that, but it still brings me to this.

Wait, the penny dropped. The answer is z. You multiply across by -(w+z) :) Thanks for all your help.!

... not forgetting you took the logarithm at the start.

1. What is the definition of a limit in calculus?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. It is denoted by the symbol "lim" and is used to determine the value that a function is approaching as the input gets closer and closer to a specific value.

2. How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can use three different methods: substitution, factoring, and rationalization. These methods involve plugging in the value the function is approaching, simplifying the resulting expression, and evaluating it to determine the limit.

3. What is the importance of finding the limit of a function?

The limit of a function is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function and its graph. It also allows us to evaluate functions that are undefined at certain points and to solve various problems in physics, economics, and other fields that involve continuous change.

4. Can you find the limit of a function at a discontinuity?

No, you cannot find the limit of a function at a discontinuity because the function is not defined at that point. In order to find the limit, the function must be defined and continuous at the point of interest.

5. How can I check my answer when finding the limit of a function?

You can check your answer by plugging in nearby values to the limit point and seeing if the resulting values are approaching the same limit. You can also use a graphing calculator or online graphing tool to visualize the behavior of the function and confirm your answer.