1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the limit

1. Aug 13, 2006 #1
    Find limit of f(x) when x approaches 0.

Given that f(x) is (1/x^3){(1+tanx)^0.5 - (1+sinx)^0.5}

The given answer is 0.25, but can somebody show me the solutions? I try the conjugate, and nothing works. Then I try to substitute t=(1+tanx)^0.5 and others, can't work, too.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

If you multiply numerator and denominator with the complement expression, you get after simplifying:

[tex]\frac{{\frac{{\tan x - \sin x}}{{x^3 }}}}{{\sqrt {1 + \tan x} + \sqrt {1 + \sin x} }}[/tex]

Replacing sin(x) and tan(x) by the first terms of their Taylor series arround 0 so that the difference isn't 0, is x³/2. So you get:

\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0} \frac{{\frac{{\tan x - \sin x}}{{x^3 }}}}{{\sqrt {1 + \tan x} + \sqrt {1 + \sin x} }} = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0} \frac{{\frac{1}{2}}}{{\sqrt {1 + \tan x} + \sqrt {1 + \sin x} }}
  4. Aug 13, 2006 #3

Science Advisor

Wait a minute, what is your f(x)?
    Is it
    [tex]\frac {\sqrt{1+tanx} - \sqrt{1+sinx}}{x^3}[/tex]?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?