1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the limit.

1. Feb 5, 2008 #1
    Find the limit.

limit x -> 0 cos(pi*x / sinx)

I'm only in cal I. I was hoping I wouldn't have to use the difference quotient so is there an easier way to do this using derivative rules or something?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

[tex]lim_{x\rightarrow 0} cosf(x) =cos (lim_{x\rightarrow 0} f(x))[/tex]
  4. Feb 5, 2008 #3
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\cos{\left(\frac{\pi x}{\sin x}\right)}[/tex]

5. Feb 5, 2008 #4
    Yeah this is what he meant, i guess. And follow rock.freak667's advice. But remember that this is true only because cos is continuous for any real.
    [tex]lim_{x\rightarrow 0} cosf(x) =cos (lim_{x\rightarrow 0} f(x))[/tex]
    Now can you see the trick after you go inside the cosine function with the limit?
  6. Feb 5, 2008 #5

Can I just use the quotient rule on the inside?
  7. Feb 5, 2008 #6
    well you do not need to use the quotient rule, because do you know what the limit of

sin(x)/x is as x--->0

lim(x-->0)(sin(x))/x ----?????
    Just use this fact and you will be fine, because if you use the quotient rule as you are claimint to, you will get an intermediate form of 0/0.
  8. Feb 5, 2008 #7
    This would be x / sin x in this case. You got it backwards.
  9. Feb 5, 2008 #8
    NO, i did not get it backwards, because if you know what lim(x-->0)(sin(x))/x ----?????
    is you will not have problem finding out what
    lim(x-->0)x/sinx is, since you will take its reciprocal and everything will turn into terms of sin(x)/x
  10. Feb 5, 2008 #9
    Oh, sorry, calm down lol. It's 1.
  11. Feb 5, 2008 #10
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\cos{\left(\frac{\pi x}{\sin x}\right)}=\cos{(\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\left\frac{\pi}{\frac{\sin x}{\ x}\right)}}[/tex]
    do u see now what to do?
  12. Feb 5, 2008 #11
    Ya thanks it's -1.
  13. Feb 5, 2008 #12
    Good job!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?