Exploring the Limit of an Infinity/Infinity Undeterminate Form

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form Limit
In summary, when evaluating the limit \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{2^{3n}}{3^{2n}}, the answer is zero. This can be shown by using the sandwich theorem and finding a creature strictly bigger than \frac{2^{3n}}{3^{2n}} with a limit of zero. For the second question, the steps to get from \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \sqrt{2n+1} - \sqrt{2n} to \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2n+1}+\sqrt{2n}} involve multiplying by the conjugate of the numerator. QED is
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{2^{3n}}{3^{2n}}[/tex]

The answer is zero. All I can do is turn this infinity/infinity undeterminate form into a 0 times infinity indeterminate form. I also tried finding a creature strictly bigger than [itex]\frac{2^{3n}}{3^{2n}}[/tex] that has zero for a limit so that the answer would follow from the "sandwich theorem". But all my attempts let to infinity. For instance,

[tex]0\leq \frac{2^{3n}}{3^{2n}}\leq \frac{3^{3n}}{3^{2n}}=\frac{3^{2n}3^n}{3^{2n}}=3^n[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
2^(3n) = (2^3)^n = 8^n and 3^(2n) = (3^2)^n = 9^n, so 2^(3n) / 3^(2n) = what?

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \left( \frac{8}{9} \right)^n=0[/tex]

Thanx a bunch!

Last edited:
Btw, [tex]\infty[/tex] is written \infty in LaTeX.

I would have another question for you if you don't mind.

The textbook says that

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \sqrt{2n+1} - \sqrt{2n}=\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2n+1}+\sqrt{2n}}[/tex]

What are the steps to get from one to the other?

Last edited:
Multiply [tex]\sqrt{2n + 1} - \sqrt{2n}[/tex] by its conjugate like so:

[tex]\sqrt{2n + 1} - \sqrt{2n} = (\sqrt{2n + 1} - \sqrt{2n}) \cdot \frac{\sqrt{2n + 1} + \sqrt{2n}}{\sqrt{2n + 1} + \sqrt{2n}}[/tex].

The top can then be simplified into 1...

Great!

Those were #1 a) and b) out of n) by the way. Wish me luck!

Is this from Courant's book?

No, it's from two Canadian people: Jaques Labelle and Armel Mercier.

Last edited:
I'm using this somewhat dead thread to ask: What does QED means? D is probably for Demonstrated, but what about Q and E?

In french, it's CQFD, which translate into "That which had to be demonstrated."

Close! It means "that which was to be shown" or "demonstrated."

1. What is an Infinity/Infinity Undeterminate Form?

An Infinity/Infinity Undeterminate Form is an expression where the numerator and denominator both approach infinity, resulting in an indeterminate value. It is also known as a "zero over zero" form.

2. How do you explore the limit of an Infinity/Infinity Undeterminate Form?

To explore the limit of an Infinity/Infinity Undeterminate Form, you can use techniques such as L'Hôpital's rule, substitution, or algebraic manipulation. These methods allow you to simplify the expression and determine the limit as the numerator and denominator approach infinity.

3. Why is an Infinity/Infinity Undeterminate Form important in mathematics?

An Infinity/Infinity Undeterminate Form is important because it arises in many real-world problems and mathematical equations. It can also help us understand the behavior of functions at infinity and determine their limits.

4. Can an Infinity/Infinity Undeterminate Form have a finite limit?

Yes, an Infinity/Infinity Undeterminate Form can have a finite limit. This occurs when the numerator and denominator approach infinity at the same rate, resulting in a finite value. In this case, the limit can be determined by finding the ratio between the leading terms of the numerator and denominator.

5. Are there any other types of indeterminate forms besides Infinity/Infinity Undeterminate Form?

Yes, there are several other types of indeterminate forms, such as 0/0, ∞/∞, 1^∞, 0^0, and ∞^0. Each of these forms has its own unique properties and methods for determining their limits. However, Infinity/Infinity Undeterminate Form is one of the most commonly encountered forms in mathematics.