1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the lowest value of N

1. Jun 25, 2012 #1
    1. If we accept the fact that the sequence {n/(n + 1)}n = 1 converges to the limit L = 1, then for every ε>0 there exists an integer N such that abs value of an - L = abs value of n/(n + 1) - 1< ε when n>/ N. In each part, find the smallest value of N for the given value of ε.

2.a. ε = 0.25
    b. ε = 0.1
    c. ε = 0.001

The way I did this was:
    abs value of n/(n + 1) - 1 < ε
    abs value of n/(n + 1) - 1< 0.25
    abs value of n/(n + 1) - 1= 0.25
    n/(n + 1) = 1.25
    n = 1.25n + 1.25
    -0.25n = 1.25
    n = 5 because of the absolute value bars, therefore N = 4.

However, I do not think I did this correctly. Can someone show me the correct way?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2012 #2
    What it says is "for any ε>0, there exists N, such that if n>N, then |n/(n+1)-1|<ε."

The inequality with the abs expands to
    [tex] -\epsilon<\dfrac{n}{n+1}-1<+\epsilon [/tex]

The right part of the inequality is automatically satisfied for all n because the fraction is always less than 1, so you only work on the left part.

4. Jun 26, 2012 #3
    Thank you for explaining :)

However, one last question, where is the 1 coming from? Isn't ε = 0.25?

5. Jun 26, 2012 #4
    You are welcome. Limit is the most interesting and fundamental thing in calculus 101. It's hard for beginner. I remembered our prof said don't feel bad if you don't get it at first, it took the best mathematicians centuries to get it right.

Back to your question, the 1 comes from the limit of the sequence as you agree. The epsilon-N language can be said in plain English in this way "we always pick a large enough n to make n/(n+1) close to 1 as much as we please." There are always 3 important things in the limit, the sequence, the limit, and the distance between the limit (1 in this case) the sequence evaluated at n. The distance is ε(n) which is a function of n. Your task is to find the minimal n for the given ε that makes the inequality happy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook