Find the Maclaurin polynomial

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Maclaurin polynomial for P(6)X for 1/(1+2x2) about x=0 and the confusion over the number of terms in the solution. It is clarified that the notation P6 refers to the order of the polynomial, meaning the greatest power is six.
~Sam~

Homework Statement

Find the Maclaurin polynomial for P(6)X for 1/(1+2x2) about x=0

Homework Equations

I'm pretty sure I need to use the Maclaurin polynomial for 1/(1-x)= 1+x+x2+x3+...+xn +O(xn+1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply rewrote as 1/(1-(-2x2)) then proceeded to sub and expanded. The answer was not what I expected and not what I got. Apparently it's suppose to be 1-2x2+4x4-8x6. Can anyone expain to me why is there only four terms?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
~Sam~ said:
Apparently it's suppose to be 1-2x2+4x4-8x6. Can anyone expain to me why is there only four terms?
Why would you expect it to be more than four terms? Don't forget that you are expanding in powers of x2.

Perhaps it would be more obvious if we first take the expansion,

[tex]\frac{1}{1-\left(-\theta\right)} \sim 1 - \theta + \theta^2 - \theta^3 + \theta^4[/tex]

Now simply make the substitution [itex]\theta = 2x^2[/itex],

[tex]\frac{1}{1-\left(-\theta\right)} \sim 1 - 2x^2 + 4x^4 - 8x^6 + 16x^8[/tex]

Note that the fact that you are expanding in powers of x2, means that the powers of each term in the Maclaurin series doubles.

Hootenanny said:
Why would you expect it to be more than four terms? Don't forget that you are expanding in powers of x2.

Perhaps it would be more obvious if we first take the expansion,

[tex]\frac{1}{1-\left(-\theta\right)} \sim 1 - \theta + \theta^2 - \theta^3 + \theta^4[/tex]

Now simply make the substitution [itex]\theta = 2x^2[/itex],

[tex]\frac{1}{1-\left(-\theta\right)} \sim 1 - 2x^2 + 4x^4 - 8x^6 + 16x^8[/tex]

Note that the fact that you are expanding in powers of x2, means that the powers of each term in the Maclaurin series doubles.

I understand that..but it ask for of order 6..P6(x) yet the answer given is 1-2x2+4x2-8x6...and not 1-2x2+4x2-8x6+16x8-32x10. Is the answer given in the book just wrong?

~Sam~ said:
I understand that..but it ask for of order 6..P6(x)
What does order six mean?

Hootenanny said:
What does order six mean?

The notation Pn means the n-th order Taylor polynomial for f about a. We have the general taylor formula f(a)+ f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)/2! ((x-a)1) +...+fn (a)/n! ((x-a)n) Which basically means P6 would be taking the formula to the 6th derivative, hence order 6.

~Sam~ said:
The notation Pn means the n-th order Taylor polynomial for f about a. We have the general taylor formula f(a)+ f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)/2! ((x-a)1) +...+fn (a)/n! ((x-a)n) Which basically means P6 would be taking the formula to the 6th derivative, hence order 6.
No. P6 means a ploynomial of order six, that is a polynomial where the greatest power is six.

What is a Maclaurin polynomial?

A Maclaurin polynomial is a type of power series expansion that can approximate a given function around the point x = 0. It is named after the Scottish mathematician Colin Maclaurin.

Why is finding the Maclaurin polynomial important?

Finding the Maclaurin polynomial allows us to approximate a complicated function with a simpler polynomial. This can be useful in solving problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

How do you find the Maclaurin polynomial?

The Maclaurin polynomial can be found using the formula: P(x) = f(0) + f'(0)x + (f''(0)x^2)/2! + (f'''(0)x^3)/3! + ... + (f^(n)(0)x^n)/n!, where f^(n)(0) is the nth derivative of the function evaluated at x = 0.

What is the difference between a Maclaurin polynomial and a Taylor polynomial?

A Maclaurin polynomial is a special case of a Taylor polynomial, where the center point is x = 0. In other words, a Maclaurin polynomial is a Taylor polynomial with a = 0.

What are some applications of the Maclaurin polynomial?

The Maclaurin polynomial has many applications in calculus, physics, and engineering. It can be used to approximate functions in order to solve differential equations, optimize designs, and perform numerical integration. It is also used in computer graphics to create smooth curves and surfaces.