Find the magnitude of the applied force F

In summary, the magnitude of the applied force F can be found by setting the force along the incline equal to the component of weight in that direction, which is given by -mg sin(49). This results in the equation F cos(49)= 115(9.81) sin(49), which can be solved for F to find the magnitude of the applied force.
ryan
A 115.0 kg box is pushed by a horizontal force F at constant speed up a frictionless ramp which makes an angle of 49.0 deg with the horizontal. Find the magnitude of the applied force F.

I can't seem to get this problem right. In the x-direction there is a push. Which I got mgsin(49).
In the y-direction there is the normal force and mg. mg is negative and I think the normal force is mgcos(49). I'm not positive if this is right but when i add -mg+mgcos(49) and do vector addition on the x and y directions I get the wrong answer. What am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi

What about the frictional force? Don't u hav the value of & mu?

Sridhar

the ramp is considered frictionless

Since there are no friction forces you need to do two things:
determine the component of the force in the direction of the incline:
Since the angle of the incline is given as 49 degrees to the horizontal, constructing the right triangle with legs the along the incline and normal to it with hyponetuse horizontal has angle 49 degrees at the bottom and so near side/hypotenuse = cosine. It is correct that the force along the incline would be F cos(49).

I don't know why you would ADD mg and mg cos(49)- that would be adding the total weight to one component. And the WRONG component, by the way: since the weight vector is vertical, not horizontal the component of weight in the direction of the incline is given by the sine: -mg sin(49)= -115(9.81) sin(49)

Of course, we must have F cos(49)= 115(9.81) sin(49). Solve that for F.

1. What is the definition of magnitude of the applied force F?

The magnitude of the applied force F refers to the strength or size of the force that is being applied to an object. It is a scalar quantity and is usually measured in units of Newtons (N) in the metric system and in pounds (lbs) in the imperial system.

2. How is the magnitude of the applied force F calculated?

The magnitude of the applied force F can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where m is the mass of the object and a is its acceleration. This formula is based on Newton's second law of motion, which states that the force applied to an object is directly proportional to its mass and acceleration.

3. What is the difference between magnitude and direction when talking about the applied force F?

Magnitude refers to the strength or size of the force, while direction refers to the path or angle in which the force is being applied. Both magnitude and direction are important in fully describing a force, as they work together to determine the overall effect it has on an object.

4. How does the magnitude of the applied force F affect an object?

The magnitude of the applied force F directly affects an object's motion. A larger force will cause a greater acceleration, while a smaller force will result in a slower acceleration. If the magnitude of the force is equal to the object's mass times its acceleration, it will result in a constant velocity, also known as uniform motion.

5. What are some examples of situations where finding the magnitude of the applied force F is important?

There are many situations where finding the magnitude of the applied force F is important, such as calculating the force needed to move an object, determining the amount of force exerted by a machine or tool, and analyzing the effects of forces in physics experiments. It is also crucial in understanding the motion and behavior of objects in everyday life, such as a ball being thrown or a car accelerating.