1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the Magnitude

1. Jul 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A nickel coin has a mass of about 4.3g. Each mole (6.02e23 atoms) has a mass of about 58.2g

2. Relevant equations
    I found the number of electrons on each coin, which is 1.245e24 and also the number of atoms on the coin which is 4.447e22.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Now I have to find the magnitude of the charge of all of these electrons. I just started phys part two and need help. I Know that the C constant is, and I think I have to use the F=Q1Q2/r2but I can't come up with the solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

By C I think you mean the units of charge - Coulomb.

The formula you show is for the force between charges separated by a distance.

If you are looking for total charge in C, however, you will want to look up how many electrons makes up a Coulomb.

4. Jul 12, 2009 #3
    Well, I know that C=6.02 x 10^18 electrons, and I have 1.245 x 10^24 electrons, also the problem states that there are 28 electrons/atom on the nickel coin... would I multiply those?

5. Jul 12, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

You might want to use 6.24*1018 electrons/ Coulomb.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulomb

As to the 28 per atom, didn't you use that already to determine total electrons?

6. Jul 12, 2009 #5
    yes, that was to find the total electrons

7. Jul 12, 2009 #6

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

So if you have total electrons and you know how many are in a Coulomb ...

8. Jul 12, 2009 #7
    I think i have to multiply but I'm not coming out with the right answer

9. Jul 12, 2009 #8

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

If I have 48 eggs, and there are 12 eggs in a dozen, and I wanted to know how many dozen I had, ... I wouldn't be multiplying.

10. Jul 12, 2009 #9
    Ok, cool...got it thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook