Calculating Mass of Carbon 12 Atoms

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the mass of 6.022 x 10^6 atoms of Carbon 12 in grams using the equation 1 amu=1.6606 x 10^-24 g. The participants mention that 1 amu is approximately equal to 1.66 x 10^-27 kg, and it can be used to find the mass of a single Carbon 12 atom. They also mention that the molar mass of Carbon 12 is equal to the mass of 12 atoms, and that 1 amu is equal to the mass of one atom divided by 12. Ultimately, the conversation is focused on finding a way to calculate the mass of 6.022 x 10
vt33
What is the mass (in grams) of 6.022 x 10^6 atoms Carbon 12? I am given the equation 1 amu=1.6606 x 10^-24 g, but I'm not sure if I should be using this in my conversion factor or not. Can anyone tell me how to set this up? I have a few ideas but unfortunately I don't have any way to check my answers to see if they're correct. Thanks in advance

Chemistry news on Phys.org
* 1 amu (apud 'atomic mass unit') is,by definition,the 12-th part of the mass of an atom of C-12,or numerically,[itex] \sim 1.66\cdot 10^{-27} Kg [/itex]
** So from "*" u can find the mass of a C-12 atom.
***Knowing the mass of an atom,it won't be too hard to find the mass of [itex] 6.022 \cdot 10^{6} [/itex] atoms.

Daniel.

6.022 x 10^23 is avagadro number N,N no: atoms weigh 1 amu.

poolwin2001 said:
6.022 x 10^23 is avagadro number N,N no: atoms weigh 1 amu.

No poolwin, the mass of [itex]N_{av} [/itex] atoms is the molar mass of the element.

As Dexter has said already, [itex]1~ amu =\frac {mass~of~a~C-12~atom}{12}[/itex]

1. How do you calculate the mass of a carbon 12 atom?

The mass of a carbon 12 atom can be calculated by adding the masses of its protons, neutrons, and electrons. Carbon 12 has 6 protons and 6 neutrons, each with a mass of approximately 1 atomic mass unit (amu), and 6 electrons with a negligible mass. Therefore, the mass of a carbon 12 atom is approximately 12 amu.

2. Why is carbon 12 used as the standard for atomic mass?

Carbon 12 is used as the standard for atomic mass because it is the most abundant and stable isotope of carbon. Its mass is easily measurable and is used as a reference point for comparing the masses of other atoms.

3. Is the mass of a carbon 12 atom always exactly 12 amu?

No, the mass of a carbon 12 atom may vary slightly due to the presence of trace amounts of other isotopes of carbon, such as carbon 13 and carbon 14, which have slightly different masses. However, the difference is very small and does not significantly affect the overall mass of a carbon 12 atom.

4. How does the mass of a carbon 12 atom compare to other elements?

The mass of a carbon 12 atom is relatively average compared to other elements. It is not the lightest element, such as hydrogen, which has a mass of approximately 1 amu, nor is it the heaviest element, such as uranium, which has a mass of approximately 238 amu.

5. How is the mass of a carbon 12 atom measured?

The mass of a carbon 12 atom is measured using a mass spectrometer, which separates and measures the masses of different isotopes of an element. The mass of a carbon 12 atom is then determined by comparing it to the mass of a standard carbon 12 atom on a scale called the atomic mass unit (amu).