1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the minimum sensitivity

1. Sep 20, 2011 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    11kd1r5.jpg

The attempt at a solution
    First, we define sensitivity as the change of an instrument or transducer's output per unit change in the measured quantity.

So to find the minimum sensitivity I simply plugged in the largest possible input (5.0 mm) into the equation:

E = 9.5e-0.4(5.0)

E = 1.286 V

Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2011 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

Re: Sensitivity

I would say no, that is in fact the "minimum voltage" you would expect to occur

I would associate sensitivity with rate of change of voltage with distance

4. Sep 20, 2011 #3

So I would first have to take the derivative, and then plug in 5.0?

Doing this I would get an answer of -0.514 V/mm. So will my final answer be 0.514 V/mm, if I were to take the absolute value?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  5. Sep 20, 2011 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

if you can explain why you choose 5 (which is a reasonable choice), it sounds like a plan

6. Sep 20, 2011 #5

I chose a displacement of 5.0 mm because it will give me the smallest rate of change, whereas if I chose a number closer to 0, I would get a higher rate of change, which means higher sensitivity.

Also, do I keep the value negative, or take the absolute value? I don't think negative sensitivity makes sense.

7. Sep 21, 2011 #6

lanedance

Homework Helper

may have to check you notes, it may be defined as the magnitude of rate of change as you're hinting

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook