1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the minimum speed

1. Nov 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You've taken a summer job at a water park. In one stunt, a water skier is going to glide up the 2.0-m-high frictionless ramp shown, then sail over a 5.0-m-wide tank filled with hungry sharks. You will be driving the boat that pulls her to the ramp. She'll drop the tow rope at the base of the ramp just as you veer away.
    What minimum speed must you have as you reach the ramp in order for her to live to do this again tomorrow?
    2. Relevant equations
    U=mgh, K=0.5mv^2, W=Fd

3. The attempt at a solution
    when the water skier is standing on the ramp, there is only gravitational potential energy
    Ei=U=m*2m*g
    then, when I am pull the water skier, there are kinetic energy and work by pulling the water skier
    Ef=K+W=0.5mv^2+5F, F=mg because the skier is skiing on water

thus, Ei+Ef= m*g*2=0.5mv^2+5mg= g(h-d)=0.5v^2

I get v=7.7m/s

I am not sure this is the right answer or not.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't follow your reasoning - how did you work out the energy needed to get over the 5m distance?

4. Nov 26, 2014 #3
    while the skier is sailing on water, I think the work on water just equal to mgd.

5. Nov 26, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why?
    And what has that got to do with jumping the shark tank?
    You are asked for the speed at the bottom of the ramp right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted