Find the minimum time required to go a given distance

In summary, to go 1250 m, the sportscar, Fiasco I, would take a minimum time of 46.4 seconds, with 30 seconds for acceleration and 16.4 seconds for deceleration. The maximum braking rate of the car is limited to 0.60g.
phillyrand

Homework Statement

A sportscar, Fiasco I, can accelerate uniformly to 76 m/s in 30 s. Its maximum braking rate cannot exceed 0.60g. What is the minimum time required to go 1250 m, assuming the car begins and ends at rest?

Homework Equations

a = v/t
v = d/t = [tex]\Delta[/tex]r/t
vavg = (vi + vf)/2 [when a is constant]

The Attempt at a Solution

accelrate1 = (76m/s) / 30s = 2.53 m/s^2
accelrate2 = - (0.60)g = - (0.6)(9.8N/kg) = -5.88N/kg = -5.88 m/s^2
ri = <0,0,0>m
rf = <1250,0,0>m
vi = <0,0,0>m/s
vf = <0,0,0>m/s

I tried breaking it up into two parts, the first being the acceleration and the second being the deceleration, but I cannot seem to get the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
acceltime = (76m/s) / (2.53m/s^2) = 30sdeceltime = (1250m) / (76m/s) = 16.4 stotaltime = 30s + 16.4s = 46.4s

Is there a different approach I should take?

I would approach this problem by first identifying the key information given and the variables involved. The sportscar, Fiasco I, has a maximum acceleration of 76 m/s in 30 seconds and a maximum braking rate of 0.60g. The distance to be covered is 1250 m and the car starts and ends at rest.

To find the minimum time required, we can use the equation d = 1/2at^2, where d is the distance covered, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. We can also use the equation v = at, where v is the final velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

First, we can calculate the time it takes for the car to reach its maximum velocity of 76 m/s. Using the equation v = at, we get t = 76 m/s / 2.53 m/s^2 = 30 seconds. This means that it takes 30 seconds for the car to reach its maximum velocity of 76 m/s.

Next, we can calculate the time it takes for the car to decelerate from its maximum velocity to a stop. Using the equation v = at, we get t = 76 m/s / (-5.88 m/s^2) = 12.92 seconds.

Therefore, the minimum time required for the car to cover 1250 m is 30 seconds (acceleration) + 12.92 seconds (deceleration) = 42.92 seconds.

In conclusion, the minimum time required for the car to cover 1250 m is 42.92 seconds, assuming it starts and ends at rest and maintains a maximum acceleration of 76 m/s and a maximum braking rate of 0.60g.

1. What is the formula for calculating the minimum time required to go a given distance?

The formula for calculating the minimum time required to go a given distance is time = distance / speed. This formula assumes a constant speed throughout the entire distance.

2. How does distance affect the minimum time required to travel?

The greater the distance, the longer the minimum time required to travel. This is due to the fact that the distance is directly proportional to the time, as seen in the formula time = distance / speed.

3. Does the speed at which I travel affect the minimum time required to go a given distance?

Yes, the speed at which you travel does affect the minimum time required to go a given distance. The higher the speed, the shorter the minimum time required. This can be seen in the formula time = distance / speed, where an increase in speed results in a decrease in time.

4. Can the minimum time required to go a given distance be negative?

No, the minimum time required to go a given distance cannot be negative. Time is always measured in a positive value, and any negative value would not make sense in this context.

5. How can I minimize the time required to go a given distance?

To minimize the time required to go a given distance, you can increase your speed. This will result in a decrease in the time required, as seen in the formula time = distance / speed. However, it is important to also consider safety and any speed limits in place while trying to minimize travel time.