Find the minimum velocity

In summary: Instead of giving the ball an initial kinetic energy of 0.00000001 Joules, you could give it that amount plus just 0.00000001 Joules and that should ensure it makes it past 12 o'clock?Yes, this is correct.
james t

Homework Statement

A ball of mass M is attached to a 1.0m pole that is pivoted on the wall at point (0,0); such that it can take the path of a circle. The ball is initially held up at rest at the point (1,0). It is then pushed with a downward force.

What minimum initial velocity must it have if it is to be able to travel all the way around the circle of radius 1.0m ?
(It must be able to get back to the point (1,0)

Homework Equations

Conservation of Energy
Ui + Ki = Uf + Kf
Centripetal Force
F = mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Due to gravity it will probably move past point (1,0) and make its way down to point (0,-1) at which I have no idea what will exactly happen then.
I guess a way to look at it is that if is able to get past point (0,1) then that is sufficient, as gravity can then take over. So what will be the minimum initial velocity if it is able to get past (0,1)

I am only guessing here but i should probably use conservation of energy, but centripetal force seems like it has something to do with this problem.

So I am going to solve for what kinetic energy at point (0,-1) that will allow it to get to point (0,1) although i have no idea if that's even right. The kinetic energy at point (0,-1) should equal the potential plus kinetic energy it has initially at point (1,0)

I set U=0 at y = -1

mgh = 1/2mv^2
2gh = v^2
(2)(9.81)(2) = v^2
6.26= V at (-1,0)

The energy it had initally must equal the energy it has at y = -1

1/2mv^2 = mgh + 1/2mv^2
v^2 = 2gh + v^2
39.2 = 2(9.81)(1) + v^2
v= 4.42 = initial velocity

I have a feeling I am wrong through. Somebody please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
james t said:
A ball of mass M is attached to a 1.0m pole that is pivoted on the wall at point (0,0); such that it can take the path of a circle. The ball is initially held up at rest at the point (0,1.0m).
This is an unconventional (hence awkward) choice of axes. Did the problem have a diagram to accompany it? Maybe you took readings off it, erroneously?

Can you give us the figure? You have it right, you'll give the ball sufficent K.E. to allow it to overcome g and attain a specific height.

The ball needs to be on the end of a horizontally-held stick if an initial push "downwards" is to set it going. The way your data presents it, the ball starts with the stick held vertically so being pushed "downwards" will achieve nought.

We need the accompanying diagram, I think.

Im sorry, i was mistaken in my coordinates. The original coordinates are (1,0). It is pushed with a downward force when it is released. .

We must find the initial velocity such that will be able to get past point (0,1) thus it will be able to get back to ( and past) its original position of (1,0)

NascentOxygen said:
This is an unconventional (hence awkward) choice of axes. Did the problem have a diagram to accompany it? Maybe you took readings off it, erroneously?

Can you give us the figure? You have it right, you'll give the ball sufficent K.E. to allow it to overcome g and attain a specific height.

The ball needs to be on the end of a horizontally-held stick if an initial push "downwards" is to set it going. The way your data presents it, the ball starts with the stick held vertically so being pushed "downwards" will achieve nought.

We need the accompanying diagram, I think.
Are you sure that's all there is to it? Because if we give it just enough velocity to reach the top of the circle (0,1) then would it not just stay at rest at that point theoretically? The problem states that it must get past its original position of (1,0). We must find the absolute minimum initial velocity required to achieve this. Is there another way to do this to check that the answer is correct?

u6.jpg

here is a diagram of the situation

Were you given that diagram?

The Cartesian coordinates of a point are denoted (x,y) where x is the horizontal measure from the origin, y is the vertical measure from the origin.

EDIT: You've attached a diagram you already know is wrong? Why not fix it first? How much help will this be to other students trying to follow along?

Instead of giving the body a starting K.E. exactly equal to the P.E. involved, you could give it that amount plus just 0.00000001 Joules and that should ensure it makes it past 12 o'clock? Or

unnamed543.jpg

ok here is the corrected diagram. I know about Cartesian coordinates and yes that's what i use but i am a dyslexic so sometimes i get things switched around.

NascentOxygen said:
Instead of giving the body a starting K.E. exactly equal to the P.E. involved, you could give it that amount plus just 0.00000001 Joules and that should ensure it makes it past 12 o'clock? Or
How about an infinitely small amount of energy? Would that work too

are you sure that conservation of energy is the correct way to solve the problem? because that just seems a little too easy. Is there another way to do it so we compare the results

I tried to continue saying, but PF doesn't work so well with tablets. I was trying to say ...

Or, just phrase it as the K.E. given the ball at the start must exceed xx Joules. That neatly takes care of the issue.

Likes james t

1. What is the purpose of finding the minimum velocity?

The minimum velocity is the lowest possible speed required for an object to complete a specific motion or reach a certain point. It is often used to calculate the necessary force or energy needed to achieve a desired outcome.

2. How is the minimum velocity calculated?

The minimum velocity can be calculated using the equation: v = sqrt(2gh), where v is the minimum velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object or distance to be covered. This equation is based on the principle of conservation of energy.

3. What factors affect the minimum velocity?

The minimum velocity is affected by several factors including the mass of the object, the force applied, and the distance or height to be covered. Other factors such as air resistance and friction may also play a role in determining the minimum velocity.

4. How does the minimum velocity relate to other concepts in physics?

The concept of minimum velocity is closely related to other concepts in physics such as acceleration, force, energy, and motion. It is often used in calculations involving these concepts to determine the minimum requirements for a successful outcome.

5. Can the minimum velocity be greater than the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel. Therefore, the minimum velocity cannot exceed the speed of light in any given scenario.