Find the Mistake in Homework Statement

• Thread starter ddr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mistake
In summary, the purpose of the "Find the Mistake in Homework Statement" task is to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. To approach this task, one should carefully read the statement, break it down into smaller parts, and check for errors using their subject knowledge. Common mistakes to look for include incorrect use of symbols, units, missing steps, and incorrect application of formulas. While it is best to complete the task on your own, you can ask for help or use external resources if needed. To ensure all mistakes are found, one should review their corrections and ask for feedback from classmates or teachers. The goal is not just to find the mistake, but also to understand why it was a mistake and how to correct it.
ddr

Homework Statement

π^2
∫ COS(√x) dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

t=√x ; x=t^2 ; dx= 2t

π
∫ COSt · 2t dt = [SINt · 2t ] - ∫ 2SINt dt = π +2

yes but.. where is the mistake?
'cause the result is: π/2 - 1

thanx a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
I get π +2. What makes you think the answer is π/2 - 1?

The answer should be [itex]\pi - 2[/itex]. Check the substitutions in the final step.

Neutrino is right, the result is π - 2, but why does the book report a π/2 - 1 result?

A typo, perhaps?

1. What is the purpose of the "Find the Mistake in Homework Statement" task?

The purpose of this task is to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills by identifying and correcting errors in a given homework statement.

2. How do I approach this task?

Start by carefully reading the homework statement and understanding the instructions or problem. Then, break down the statement into smaller parts and check for any errors in grammar, syntax, or logic. Use your knowledge and understanding of the subject to identify any mistakes.

3. What are some common mistakes that I should look for?

Some common mistakes that you should look for include incorrect use of mathematical or scientific symbols, incorrect units or conversions, missing or extra steps in a solution, and incorrect application of formulas or concepts.

4. Can I ask for help or use external resources while completing this task?

It is best to try and complete this task on your own to develop your critical thinking skills. However, if you are stuck, you can ask for help or use external resources such as textbooks or online references. Just make sure to properly cite any sources you use.

5. How can I ensure that I have found all the mistakes in the homework statement?

To ensure that you have found all the mistakes, it is important to carefully review your corrections and double-check your work. You can also ask a classmate or teacher to review your corrections and provide feedback. Remember, the goal is not just to find the mistake but also to understand why it was a mistake and how to correct it.