Find the moment of inertia about the x axis

In summary: Do i just plug in my values for m and v and add them up?In summary, the system consists of three particles connected by rigid rods along the y-axis, rotating about the x-axis with an angular speed of 2.90 rad/s. The moment of inertia about the x-axis can be found using the formula I = sum of (r^2 * m), where r is the distance from the axis of rotation and m is the mass of the particle. The tangential speed of each particle can be found using the formula v = (2.90 rad/s)(r), and the total kinetic energy can be evaluated by summing the values of mi vi^2/2 for each particle. The moment of inertia is
integra2k20

Homework Statement

Rigid rods of negligible mass lying along the y-axis connect three particles (Fig. P10.20). The system rotates about the x-axis with an angular speed of 2.90 rad/s.

p10-23.gif

Figure P10.20

(a) Find the moment of inertia about the x axis.
______kgm2
Find the total rotational kinetic energy evaluated from 1/2 I2.
______J
(b) Find the tangential speed of each particle.
______m/s (4.00 kg particle)
______m/s (2.00 kg particle)
______m/s (3.00 kg particle)
Find the total kinetic energy evaluated from mi vi2/2.
______J

Homework Equations

I = sum of (r^2*m)

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher told us to use I = sum of (r^2 * m) i am not sure how this works if some of the r's (distances from the axis of rotation) are negative. i tried subtracting the negative ones, or just plugging them in and squaring them, thus making them positive, to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated! the most difficult part of this for me is the moment of inertia.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are you struggling with?

finding the moment of inertia of the structure, after that i think i should be able to handle it

So you've done something like this;

[tex]I = 4(3)^2 + 2(-2)^2 + 3(-4)^2[/tex]

Is that correct?

Hootenanny said:
So you've done something like this;

[tex]I = 4(3)^2 + 2(-2)^2 + 3(-4)^2[/tex]

Is that correct?

yup, i did exactly that...didn't get it right...

oh wow, never mind, i made some type of calculation mistake. for some reason i got 140 when it shoudl have been 92. my last question is about the last part, it says to find the total kinetic energy evaluated from (sum of)mi vi^2/2.

1. What is the moment of inertia about the x axis?

The moment of inertia about the x axis, also known as the second moment of area, is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion around an axis passing through its center of mass and perpendicular to the x axis.

2. How is the moment of inertia about the x axis calculated?

The moment of inertia about the x axis can be calculated by summing the products of the mass of each infinitesimal element of an object and the square of its perpendicular distance from the x axis. This is expressed mathematically as Ix = ∫(y^2)dm, where dm is the infinitesimal mass element and y is the perpendicular distance from the x axis.

3. What are the units of moment of inertia about the x axis?

The units of moment of inertia about the x axis are typically expressed in kg*m^2 or g*cm^2. These units represent the resistance of an object to rotational motion around the x axis, taking into account both the mass and the distribution of mass around the axis.

4. How does the moment of inertia about the x axis affect an object's rotational motion?

The moment of inertia about the x axis affects an object's rotational motion by determining the amount of torque required to produce a certain angular acceleration. A larger moment of inertia means a greater resistance to rotational motion and therefore a larger torque is needed to produce the same angular acceleration.

5. What factors can affect the moment of inertia about the x axis?

The moment of inertia about the x axis can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the distribution of mass around the axis, and the shape and size of the object. For example, an object with a larger mass and more of its mass located farther from the x axis will have a larger moment of inertia about that axis.