1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the moment of inertia (about z axis) of region bounded by a parabloid and plane

1. Mar 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the moment of inertia of the regoin bounded by z = x^2 + y^2 and z=1 if the density is propertial to the distance from the z axis

2. Relevant equations
    Moment of interia about the z axis = the double integral R of (x^2+y^2)*(density)dV

3. The attempt at a solution
    I convert everything to cylindricals, so I get z=r^2 and z=1, but I'm not sure about setting up the integral. What exactly is region R and would the density just be == r? Anyways x^2 + y^2 = r^2, so would the integral be
    integral of r^2 * r * r * dθ dr, 0≤θ≤2π, 0≤r≤1
    Basically im just unsure what region R is, right now the limits are just the area bounded by the plane and parabloid but what about the volume underneath? Also why do the moments of inertia about the x and y axis involve triple integrals and z doesn't or are my notes wrong? Any help is appreciated.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?