Find the net amount of charged contained in a cube

In summary, The conversation is about finding the net amount of charge contained in a cube with horizontal faces at altitudes of 200m and 300m, given that the electric field in the region is directed vertically down. The net flux through the cube is equal to q/Eo, where q is the charge enclosed and Eo is the permittivity of free space. Using Gauss's law, the speaker was able to find the net charge to be 3.54x10^-6 C. There was a minor confusion regarding the calculation of the flux through the top and bottom sides of the cube, but it was resolved.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone I'm confused on where I should go next with this problem. It is found experimentally that the electric field in a ceritan region of Earth's atmosphere is directed vertically down. At an altitude of 300m the field has a magnitude 60.0 N/c; at an altitude of 200m, the magnitude is 100 N/c. Find the net amount of charge contained in a cube 100m on edge, with horizontal faces at altitudes of 200 and 300m. I posted a picture of what I think it should look like: http://img331.imageshack.us/img331/143/physicssss8uv.jpg
I found the electric flux at 200 and 300m (values are on image): The flux at 300m should be negative. So then I used Eo(Flux) = q_enclosed for both faces and found. At 300m the enclosed charge is 3.186x10^-5, and at 200m I found the enclosed charge to be 5.31x10^-5. But now I'm lost on what i should do. THe answer is 3.54x10^-6 C. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mr_coffee said:
I found the electric flux at 200 and 300m (values are on image): The flux at 300m should be negative. So then I used Eo(Flux) = q_enclosed for both faces and found. At 300m the enclosed charge is 3.186x10^-5, and at 200m I found the enclosed charge to be 5.31x10^-5. But now I'm lost on what i should do. THe answer is 3.54x10^-6 C. Thanks.
You need to find the total charge enclosed within the cube. Find the net flux through the cube and apply Gauss's law. (Recheck your calculation for the flux through the top and bottom sides of the cube. What's the area of the sides? What's the field?)

excellent, thanks i got it. For some reason I used Area of cube = 100^2 * 6; Insteed of just 100^2.

but how do you find the net flux? It's equal to q/Eo.. so what do you plug in for q?

flux = EA = Q/ε

You're given the electric field at both surfaces, so you can find E. A is just the area of the two squares.

Then ε is constant, just solve for Q.

What is the definition of net charge?

The net charge of an object is the overall amount of positive or negative charge that it contains. It is calculated by subtracting the total amount of negative charge from the total amount of positive charge.

How do you find the net charge of a cube?

To find the net charge of a cube, you first need to determine the total amount of positive charge and the total amount of negative charge contained within it. This can be done by calculating the charge of each individual component of the cube (such as protons, electrons, etc.) and then adding them together. Finally, subtract the total amount of negative charge from the total amount of positive charge to find the net charge.

What factors affect the net charge of a cube?

The net charge of a cube can be affected by several factors, including the number of protons and electrons in the cube, the distribution of these charges within the cube, and the presence of any external electric fields that may interact with the cube.

Can the net charge of a cube be zero?

Yes, the net charge of a cube can be zero if the total amount of positive charge is equal to the total amount of negative charge. This means that the cube is electrically neutral and does not have an overall positive or negative charge.

Why is it important to find the net charge of a cube?

Finding the net charge of a cube is important in understanding the overall electric properties of the cube. It can also help determine the interactions and behaviors of the cube when exposed to external electric fields. Additionally, knowing the net charge can be useful in various scientific and technological applications involving electricity and charged particles.