Find the next line in the sequence

In summary, this is a problem that I have been given and I have been struggling to figure out the next sequence. I am looking for input from others to help me with this. Thank you for your time.
hailee
Hello, as part of a standardized test practice booklet that I have been doing on my own, I was given a problem and told to find the next line in the sequence. I have attempted it several times, and asked many friends, but we can not seem to get it.
It will probably turn out to be something terribly obvious,and once it is figured out i will feel incredibly lame, but I will go crazy if I do not find out! :blushing:
The sequence is as follows:

I've tried many things with it, but none of them have worked out. At first glance of course, you see the value increasing by 10, but once you see the fourth column, that obviously does not work.

Any input would be appreciated.
Thank you.

[.hailee.]

Physics news on Phys.org
there is one one (11)
there are two ones (21)
there is one two and one one (1211)

and on...

1113213211 (look at the previous number...there is one one, one three, two ones, three twos, and one one

get it?

what test is this for?? it sounds like a trick question

btw, welcome to PF hailee

Last edited:
UrbanXrisis said:
there is one one (11)
there are two ones (21)
there is one two and one one (1211)

and on...

what test is this for?? it sounds like a trick question

btw, welcome to PF hailee

It is from a booklet type thing that my teacher gave me, saying it would help me in standardized test preparations.. It has lots of problems similar to this, and I have been able to solve many, but a few of them I have difficulty with. But they always seem to have obvious enough answers, so maybe I'm simply not working hard enough or long enough on them. Or,I could be over working them and not seeing the obvious answers!

So, going by your given pattern, the next sequence would be
>13213211
Correct?

And thank you so much. I appreciate it.

[.hailee.]

you almost got it

as I posted above...
1113213211 (look at the previous number...there is one one, one three, two ones, three twos, and one one)

UrbanXrisis said:
you almost got it

as I posted above...
1113213211 (look at the previous number...there is one one, one three, two ones, three twos, and one one)

oh geez. i didn't see that you had posted what the next one would be. Once i thought I saw the pattern I started trying to find the next one. And I was wrong, hah. But I'm fairly sure that I get it now.
So, for understandings sake,
>1113213211
>31131211131221 ?

I think?

[.hailee.]

yes! that's correct

1. What is the purpose of finding the next line in a sequence?

The purpose of finding the next line in a sequence is to identify the pattern or rule that governs the sequence and use it to predict the following terms in the sequence.

2. What are some common techniques for finding the next line in a sequence?

Some common techniques for finding the next line in a sequence include identifying the arithmetic or geometric pattern, using the difference or ratio between consecutive terms, and looking for repeating cycles or patterns.

3. How can I use math to find the next line in a sequence?

Math can be used to find the next line in a sequence by analyzing the numbers and their relationships in the sequence. This can involve using algebraic equations, geometric formulas, or other mathematical concepts to determine the pattern and predict the next term.

4. What are some tips for finding the next line in a sequence faster?

Some tips for finding the next line in a sequence faster include looking for patterns or relationships between the terms, breaking down the sequence into smaller parts, and using mental math strategies such as rounding or estimating to make predictions.

5. Can I use technology to find the next line in a sequence?

Yes, there are many online tools and apps available that can help you find the next line in a sequence. These tools use algorithms and mathematical methods to analyze the sequence and make predictions. However, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and techniques in order to effectively use these tools.