Nodal Equations: Solving for Unknowns in Circuit Analysis

• Thread starter Fatima Hasan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nodal
In summary, the conversation discusses labeling and associating node voltages in a circuit, specifically in regards to supernodes. The solution involves substituting equations in both Eq#1 and Eq#3 to end up with two node equations with two unknowns.
Fatima Hasan

Homework Statement

[/B]
Write the nodal equations
22222.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

gif.gif

Could someone check my answer please ?

Attachments

• gif.gif
    gif.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 486
  • 22222.jpg
    22222.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 243
  • 22222.jpg
    22222.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 499
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 583
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you label your image to locate the various node voltages? I can guess that V1 and V2 are associated with the two supernodes, but if so, I don't understand the introduction of V3 and V4 as separate nodes.

gneill said:
Can you label your image to locate the various node voltages? I can guess that V1 and V2 are associated with the two supernodes, but if so, I don't understand the introduction of V3 and V4 as separate nodes.
22222.jpg

Attachments

• 22222.jpg
    22222.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 244
Okay. Note that ##V_2## and ##V_3## are both part of supernodes. You want to associate only one potential variable with a given supernode.

Note that your ##V_2 = V_1 - 20##, and ##V_3 = V_4 + 3V_x##.

gneill said:
Okay. Note that ##V_2## and ##V_3## are both part of supernodes. You want to associate only one potential variable with a given supernode.

Note that your ##V_2 = V_1 - 20##, and ##V_3 = V_4 + 3V_x##.
Should I substitute these equations in Eq#2 ?

Fatima Hasan said:
Should I substitute these equations in Eq#2 ?
Yes. Both Eq#1 and Eq#2. You should end up with two node equations with only two unknowns.

Edit: Corrected the second equation reference number (typo on my part).

Last edited:
Likes Fatima Hasan
gneill said:
Yes. Both Eq#1 and Eq#3. You should end up with two node equations with only two unknowns.
Thanks for your help.

What is the purpose of finding nodal equations?

The purpose of finding nodal equations is to mathematically model and analyze the behavior of electrical circuits. Nodal equations help determine the voltage at each node in the circuit, which is essential in understanding the circuit's behavior and performance.

How do you find the nodal equations?

To find the nodal equations, you need to follow these steps:

1. Identify all the nodes in the circuit and label them.
  2. Select a reference node and assign it a voltage of 0.
  3. Write Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) equations for each node, using the reference node as a reference point.
  4. Solve the resulting system of equations to find the unknown node voltages.

What is Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL)?

Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) states that the sum of currents entering a node in an electrical circuit is equal to the sum of currents leaving that node. This law is based on the principle of conservation of charge and is essential in finding nodal equations.

Are nodal equations only applicable to DC circuits?

No, nodal equations can be used to analyze both DC and AC circuits. However, the equations may differ slightly for AC circuits, as they need to take into account the frequency and phase of the AC sources.

What is the importance of nodal analysis in circuit design?

Nodal analysis is a powerful tool in circuit design as it allows engineers to predict the behavior and performance of a circuit before it is built. By using nodal equations, designers can optimize the circuit's performance and troubleshoot potential issues before they arise, saving time and resources in the design process.