Why Does Pulling at an Angle Affect the Normal Force on a Box?

In summary, the problem involves a 30 kg box on a frictionless floor being pulled with a force of 120 N at an angle of 15 degrees. The normal force, which is not equal to the gravitational force, can be found by solving for the vertical component of the applied force and subtracting it from the magnitude of mg. The box would leave the ground if the vertical component of applied force exceeds that of gravity.
keemosabi

Homework Statement

A 30 kg box is on a frictionless floor. The box is being pulled with a force of 120 N at an angle of 15 degrees. Find the normal force. Why is the normal force not equal to simply the gravitational force. What would make the person pull the box vertically into the air?

Homework Equations

Fg = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for the horizontal component of the applied force, added it to the normal force, and set it equal to 0 plus the gravitational force (30 * 9.8 = 294 N). I think I have done the first part correctly, but I am not sure how to answer the second two parts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I'm a little confused with what you've done. Firstly, you solved for the horizontal component of the applied force? Why is this? You should have solved for the vertical component.

You then said that you added it to the normal force, however as defined by the question; the normal force is what we're solving for. So how exactly did you manage that?

You should solve for the vertical component of the applied force and subtract it from the magnitude of mg. This should give you the normal force.

You can see that it's not simply equal to mg because there are more forces in the y plane than simply mg.

I don't completely understand the wording of the third question, if it's asking for a numerical answer or not, but you can see that the box would leave the ground if the vertical component of applied force exceeds that of gravity.

The normal force in this situation would not be equal to the gravitational force because the box is being pulled at an angle, not directly against the floor. The normal force is equal to the force perpendicular to the surface, which in this case would be less than the gravitational force.

The person would pull the box vertically into the air if they were able to apply a force greater than the gravitational force acting on the box. This could be achieved by using a pulley system or having multiple people pulling on the box at the same time. In this case, the normal force would decrease as the box is lifted off the ground.

What is the normal force?

The normal force is the force that a surface exerts on an object that is in contact with it. It is perpendicular to the surface and prevents the object from falling through the surface.

What factors affect the normal force?

The normal force is affected by the weight and mass of the object, as well as the angle at which the object is tilted. It also depends on the properties of the surface, such as its material and texture.

How do you calculate the normal force?

The normal force can be calculated by using the formula: FN = mg cosθ, where FN is the normal force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the surface.

Why is the normal force important?

The normal force plays a crucial role in determining the stability and equilibrium of an object. It also helps in understanding the interactions between objects and the surfaces they are in contact with.

Can the normal force be negative?

Yes, the normal force can be negative in certain scenarios, such as when an object is moving downwards on an inclined plane. A negative normal force indicates that the object is applying a downward force on the surface instead of the surface supporting the object.