Find the number of bits that can be stored on a 10cm disk

• Thread starter dirtdawg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bits Disk
In summary, to find the number of bits that can be stored on a 10cm diameter optical disk using an infrared laser, one must consider the width of each pit and land, which is 500nm and 1.6 micrometers respectively. By fitting these spots along the width of the disk, we can determine the number of bits that can be stored. However, there may be room for interpretation and multiple valid answers.
dirtdawg

Homework Statement

A computer disk is made by focusing light to a spot whose diameter is comparable to the optical wavelength. Find the number of bits that can be stored on a 10cm diameter optical disk using an infrared laser.

Homework Equations

Lamda λ = diametre of laser

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by investigating the way this works. A disk would be pressed and it will display pits and lands. Each pit width is 500nm and the land witdth would be 1.6micrometers. As the laser reads each land and pit it will interpret each land and pit as a bit 0 and each transition between land and pit as a 1 bit. Since the laser will cover the same length as its wavelength I tried to find how many pits and lands I could fit under that length (this is about 780nm for an infrared light.

Im thinking I am going about it the wrong way. any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hard to say if you're over-thinking it by analyzing the way it works. [Caveat: I don't know how these questions work] but it seems to me there's lots of room for intrerpretation, and thus a range of correct answers. As long as you show your rationale at each step and follow it through to the answer, it seems you'd get a valid, defensible answer.

At its simplest, it's just a matter of how many 500nm spots you can fit on a disk of that width.

1. How do you calculate the number of bits that can be stored on a 10cm disk?

The number of bits that can be stored on a 10cm disk can be calculated by multiplying the disk's surface area by its storage density. The storage density is typically measured in bits per square inch or bits per square centimeter.

2. What is the average storage density of a 10cm disk?

The average storage density of a 10cm disk can vary depending on the type of disk and the technology used. However, it is typically around 100-200 bits per square centimeter.

3. Are there any factors that can affect the number of bits that can be stored on a 10cm disk?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the number of bits that can be stored on a 10cm disk, such as the type of disk (magnetic, optical, etc.), the technology used, the quality of the disk, and the storage format.

4. Can the number of bits that can be stored on a 10cm disk be increased?

Yes, with advancements in technology, the storage density of 10cm disks has increased over time. This allows for more bits to be stored on a single disk, making it possible to store larger amounts of data.

5. What is the maximum number of bits that can be stored on a 10cm disk?

The maximum number of bits that can be stored on a 10cm disk is constantly increasing as technology advances. Currently, the highest storage density for a 10cm disk is around 1 terabit per square inch, which translates to approximately 1.3 million bits per square centimeter.