What is the Impact of a Local Tourism Tax on Customer Satisfaction?

In summary, Lucy's Lunch and Latte can save customers 0.82% by covering the 9% tourism tax themselves. To end up with the same amount as when the customer paid the tax, Lucy needs to raise her prices by approximately 0.68%.
HaLAA

Homework Statement

a. Lucy's Lunch and Latte has found that customers are put off by the local tourism tax of 9% that is added to their bill. If Lucy decides to cover the tax herself, rather than adding it to the customer's bill, what percent will the customer see in savings?

b. Lucy decides to quietly raise her prices before announcing that she will pay the 9% tax. What percent should she raise her prices so that she will still end with the same amount as when the customer paid the tax, rather than her?

Homework Equations

new price = old price(1+percentage)
new price = old price(1-percentage)

3. The Attempt at a Solution

let the price be 100

a. 100(1+9%)(1-9%)=99.19, 1-99.19/100=0.0082, the customer saves 0.82%

b. for this question, I don't quite understand this question.

Fot a, it seems that I did it completely wrong because b says Lucy doesn't want to pay the tax.

Can someone give me a hit or suggestion to do these two questions? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
HaLAA said:

Homework Statement

a. Lucy's Lunch and Latte has found that customers are put off by the local tourism tax of 9% that is added to their bill. If Lucy decides to cover the tax herself, rather than adding it to the customer's bill, what percent will the customer see in savings?

b. Lucy decides to quietly raise her prices before announcing that she will pay the 9% tax. What percent should she raise her prices so that she will still end with the same amount as when the customer paid the tax, rather than her?

Homework Equations

new price = old price(1+percentage)
new price = old price(1-percentage)

3. The Attempt at a Solution

let the price be 100

a. 100(1+9%)(1-9%)=99.19, 1-99.19/100=0.0082, the customer saves 0.82%

b. for this question, I don't quite understand this question.

For a, it seems that I did it completely wrong because b says Lucy doesn't want to pay the tax.

Can someone give me a hit or suggestion to do these two questions? Thanks!
For (a)

For a $1.00 item, the customer formerly paid $1.09. After Lucy covers the tax, they only pay $1.00. What percent are they saving compared to the $1.09 they used to pay ?

SammyS said:
For (a)

For a $1.00 item, the customer formerly paid $1.09. After Lucy covers the tax, they only pay $1.00. What percent are they saving compared to the $1.09 they used to pay ?
0.09?

HaLAA said:
0.09?
HaLAA said:
0.09?
No.

How did you calculate that ?

SammyS said:
No.

1 -1.09/1=0.09

SammyS said:
No.

I think I get it, 1 = 1.09(1+p), p = 0.08257

HaLAA said:
1 -1.09/1=0.09
They would have paid 1.09, not 1.00.

Also, they pay 0.09 less

HaLAA said:
I think I get it, 1 = 1.09(1+p), p = 0.08257
Yes.

That's it !

What is that as a percentage ?

SammyS said:
Yes.

That's it !
For b, Lucy will rise the price by 0.08257?

HaLAA said:
For b, Lucy will rise the price by 0.08257?
So, on $100 worth of product under the old price, you're saying that she will now charge (take in) $108.257 .

Caesar, or whomever Lucy pays taxes to, will then take 9% of that. Lucy will not realize the $100 that would have formerly received. Right ?

SammyS said:
So, on $100 worth of product under the old price, you're saying that she will now charge (take in) $108.257 .

Caesar, or whomever Lucy pays taxes to, will then take 9% of that. Lucy will not realize the $100 that would have formerly received. Right ?
yes

HaLAA said:
yes
So how do you propose to fix that ?

SammyS said:
So how do you propose to fix that ?
108.257=100(1+0.09)(1+p),p=0.0068, seems not right for me

What is "Find the percent of the price"?

"Find the percent of the price" is a mathematical concept used to calculate the percentage of a given price. It involves finding the percentage of a whole number or amount, which can be useful in various financial and scientific calculations.

How do you find the percent of a price?

To find the percent of a price, you need to first determine the percentage you want to find. Then, you multiply the percentage by the price and divide the result by 100. The final answer will be the percent of the price.

Why is finding the percent of a price important?

Finding the percent of a price is important for many reasons. It can help in determining discounts, sales tax, and markups in business and commerce. It is also used in analyzing data and making predictions in various scientific fields.

What are some real-life applications of finding the percent of a price?

Some real-life applications of finding the percent of a price include calculating discounts and sales tax while shopping, determining the amount of tip to leave at a restaurant, and analyzing data in fields such as economics, finance, and medicine.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when finding the percent of a price?

One common mistake to avoid when finding the percent of a price is forgetting to divide the result by 100. This will give the decimal value instead of the actual percentage. It is also important to make sure that the correct percentage is used in the calculation, as using the wrong percentage will result in an incorrect answer.