Find the phase difference of two oscilliators given a graph

In summary: So, the phase difference would be 180 degrees minus the count of divisions between the two significant crossings (5 in this case) or 145 degrees. This would give you the phase angle in degrees.In summary, the phase difference between the two waveforms is pi/3 rad. The phase angle is pi/3 degrees.
Taniaz

Homework Statement

The two oscillators each have the same mass. Use Fig. 4.1 to determine (i) the phase difference between the two oscillators (picture attached)

Homework Equations

Subtracting to find the horizontal shift

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the two points where both graphs intersect the time axis and took their difference but I am getting a difference of 0.2 (pi) and the mark scheme says 1/3 (pi)?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2016-11-02 at 16.55.11.png
    Screenshot 2016-11-02 at 16.55.11.png
    60.1 KB · Views: 822
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I think it is indeed π/3. Compare the phase difference with one half cycle and you'll see that the phase difference is almost 1/3rd of the half cycle i.e. π/3.

But they expect us to calculate it rather than approximate it

Taniaz said:
I think that @cnh1995 was pointing out that a cursory inspection of the graph seems to support the published answer over yours.

How about you give us more detail for the calculation that you did? Can you point out which intersection points you used, what values you recorded and how you used them to determine the phase angle?

Taniaz said:
After doing the exact calculation, the answer is coming out to be pi/3 rad. How many divisions correspond to 180 degree (pi radian)?

cnh1995 said:
After doing the exact calculation, the answer is coming out to be pi/3 rad. How many divisions correspond to 180 degree (pi radian)?
That's what I'm not sure of. I just took each division as 0.04.

I took the first points where each graph is intersecting the time axis as 0.5 and 0.3 and their difference is 0.2
Similarly I took the next two points of each graph intersecting the time axis which I found to be 1.5 and 1.7.
:/

Taniaz said:
I just took each division as 0.04.
How did you decide that?
Look at the thick waveform carefully. Measure the no of divisions between its two successive zero crossings. How many divisions do you get? I am talking divisions in mm and not cm.

You're taking it for the same wave?

Taniaz said:
You're taking it for the same wave?
Yes.

15 divisions?

Taniaz said:
15 divisions?
Right. So what is the value of one division?

Taniaz said:
0.04 what? What is the unit? I am asking the value of one division in radian (or degree).

but it's 0.04 s? How do we get it in radians or degrees?

Taniaz said:
but it's 0.04 s? How do we get it in radians or degrees?
Well, since we need the phase "difference", we will ultimetely need an angle. So instead of converting time into radians, I believe it would be convenient to treat the x-axis divisions as rad/mm. You got 15 divisions between two successive zero crossings of the same waveform? So how many radians=15 divisions?

0.6?

Taniaz said:
0.6?
What is the phase difference between two successive zero crossings of the same waveform?

Is it not 15 div x 0.04 rad/div?

Taniaz said:
0.04 rad/div
How did you decide this 0.04 rad/div? Earlier you said it is 0.04s and not 0.04 rad. I think you are confusing the given time scale with radian scale. 0.04s is not equal to 0.04 radian.
What is the phase difference between two successive zero crossings of the same waveform? What fraction of the total waveform does this part represent?

I don't understand :/

Is it 180 degrees??

Taniaz said:
I don't understand :/
Ok. I think a picture is worth a thousand words.
images.png

Taniaz said:
Is it 180 degrees??
Right!

So 15 divisions is 180 degrees then we cross multiply for 5 divisions to find the phase difference of the two waveforms?

AND we get 60 degrees which is pi/3! Thank you! :smile:

Taniaz said:
So 15 divisions is 180 degrees then we cross multiply for 5 divisions to find the phase difference of the two waveforms?
Yes.
Taniaz said:
AND we get 60 degrees which is pi/3! Thank you! :smile:
Good!

Here's a method that you may find helpful. Lay a piece of paper on your graph so that a straight edge lies along the time axis. Take a pen and mark the significant crossing locations and indicate the known number of radians for the points corresponding to one cycle of one of the waveforms. It looks like the solid waveform is a good choice for this:
upload_2016-11-2_11-31-36.png

Now you have a scale in radians for the waveforms. There's a count of 15 of the graph's minor divisions between ##0## and ##\pi## radians as you've already determined.

Likes cnh1995

What is the phase difference between two oscillators?

The phase difference between two oscillators is the difference in the starting time or phase of their oscillations. It is measured in degrees or radians and can indicate whether the oscillators are in phase (when their peaks and troughs align) or out of phase (when their peaks and troughs are offset).

How can I find the phase difference between two oscillators using a graph?

To find the phase difference between two oscillators using a graph, measure the time difference between the peaks or troughs of the two oscillations. Then, use the formula phase difference = (time difference / period) * 360° or 2π radians, depending on the units used for the period. This will give you the phase difference in degrees or radians.

What does a positive or negative phase difference indicate?

A positive phase difference indicates that one oscillator is ahead of the other in its oscillation, while a negative phase difference indicates that one oscillator is behind the other. This can also be interpreted as one oscillator leading or lagging the other.

Can the phase difference between two oscillators change over time?

Yes, the phase difference between two oscillators can change over time. This can happen if the oscillators have different frequencies or if there are external factors influencing their oscillations. In some cases, the phase difference may remain constant, indicating that the oscillators are in a synchronized state.

What is the significance of phase difference in oscillators?

The phase difference between two oscillators is important in understanding the relationship between their oscillations. It can indicate whether the oscillators are in sync or not, and can also impact their interference patterns. In applications such as electronics and communication systems, controlling the phase difference between oscillators is crucial for proper functioning.