Find the point on a cone that is farthest in a given direction

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the farthest point on a cone in a given direction. The method of finding this point is discussed for simpler shapes such as a sphere and a capsule, but then the challenge of a cone is presented. The idea of changing the coordinate system to simplify the problem is suggested, as well as using constraints and Lagrange multipliers to maximize the distance function.
caibbor
I'm not sure what "differential" geometry is, so hopefully this is the right section.

I need to find the point on a cone that is farthest in a given direction.

This can be done easily if the shape were a sphere which is represented as a point and a radius:
farthest_point = sphere_origin + normalized_dir * sphere_radius;

A capsule is also simple, which is represented as two spheres which expresses the bounds. You just do the same sphere equation above for both spheres, dot the results with the direction, and take which ever value gave the largest absolute value. (in the event that a line is perpendicular with the capsule's broad side, the point will be around the spheres but that's okay since every other point is at the same distance. Gotta pick one, and that's as good as any.)

Now what I'm faced with is now is a cone, which can be represented as a point, a direction, a length, and a radius. Not sure what to do with this one. I can get the radius of the cone at an arbitrary point up the length of the cone, but I don't know if it helps:
radius_at_dist = ( dist / length ) * radius

edit: not that it should help find a solution, but this is for the Support() function of a GJK collision detection algorithm.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this'll work, but there has to be a simpler formula:

Do the same test as the capsule except make one end of the capsule a sphere with zero radius (a point). Then you have to test if the point is beyond the end of the cone, which would mean that it's somewhere on the spherical end of the capsule. move that back to where the cone's circular end would be, and there you have it.

but... still, I feel like there's got to be a simpler solution

edit: It does work, but still looking for a simpler approach.

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time picturing what you are trying to do. Could you describe a little better what you mean by "farthest in a given direction"? Farthest from what? Perhaps you can provide a picture of what you mean?

given a vector, probably a unit vector.

if, for example, I throw the vector (0,0,1) at you, and you have a cone with the point at (1,2,3) which extends 7.4 units in the direction (0.58,0.58,0.58) with the fat end having a radius of 12.7, I want you to give me a point that exists on the surface of that cone which is no closer than any other to the end of a ray pointing in the opposite direction of my vector, (0,0,-1)

it's just the farthest point on the cone on a given direction (supplied by a unit vector).

I had hoped the sphere example in my first post whould help male things clear.

edit: this is an implementation of at least one working method that I described for a cone: http://pastebin.com/6JxJj2q8

So, let me see if I understand you correctly. Given a cone of arbitrary position and orientation, you want to know the point on the cone farthest from some fixed point?I would first change my coordinate system so that the base of my cone is in the x-y plane, and the center of the base is at the origin. It should be relatively easy to write down the equation of the surface of the cone in this coordinate system.

The distance from any point p to a point on the cone should be a simple function with several constraints. Given the constraints, maximize the function by using, e.g. Lagrange multipliers.

1. What is a cone?

A cone is a three-dimensional geometric shape with a circular base and a curved side that tapers to a point. It has a singular vertex and a flat circular base.

2. How do you find the point on a cone that is farthest in a given direction?

To find the point on a cone that is farthest in a given direction, you can use the concept of a normal vector. The normal vector is a perpendicular line that extends from the center of the base of the cone to the point on the curved side that is farthest in the given direction. By finding the point where the normal vector intersects the cone, you can determine the farthest point in that direction.

3. What is the equation for a cone?

The equation for a cone can vary depending on the orientation and position of the cone. However, the general equation for a right circular cone with a vertex at the origin is x² + y² = z², where x and y represent the coordinates on the base and z represents the height of the cone.

4. Can you find the point on a cone that is farthest in a given direction using calculus?

Yes, using calculus, you can find the maximum point on the cone in a given direction by finding the critical points, which are points where the derivative of the equation for the cone is equal to zero. By evaluating these critical points, you can determine which point is farthest in the given direction.

5. Are there any real-life applications for finding the point on a cone that is farthest in a given direction?

Yes, there are many real-life applications for finding the farthest point on a cone in a given direction. For example, this concept is used in engineering and architecture to design structures with optimal stability and support. It is also used in physics and astronomy to calculate the trajectory and distance of objects moving in a curved path, such as comets or satellites.