Find the potentail inside the sphere

• Thread starter leonne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sphere
In summary, the formula for finding the potential inside a sphere is V = kQ/r, and the electric field inside a sphere can be calculated by taking the derivative of this formula or using Gauss's Law. The potential inside a sphere is directly proportional to the charge and inversely proportional to the radius, and it can be negative depending on the charge distribution. The potential inside a sphere can also be affected by the presence of other charges or objects within its boundaries.
leonne

Homework Statement

the potential vo(0) is specified on the surface of a hollow sphere find the pot inside .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a example problem in the book but don't get this one part
The general solution is V=[tex]\sum[/tex]Alrlpl(cos@)
The only boundary we are told that at the surface its vo(0)
so
V=[tex]\sum[/tex]Alrlpl(cos@)=Vo(0)
now this the part i am lost. To find the constant I know from the other section to find this, I do ex the gen sol is say sin(k) than to find constant it would be sin(k)sin(k') than i would integrate it than i would plug in some val for k and k' and see what i get

but here they go to [tex]\int[/tex]-1 to 1 Pl(x)Pl'(x)dx= [tex]\int[/tex] 0 to pie pl(cos@)p'(cos@)sin@d@ where did they get this from?
thxs

Physics news on Phys.org
for any help
Thank you for your question. To find the potential inside the hollow sphere, we need to use the general solution V=\sumAlrlpl(cos@), as you have correctly stated. However, to determine the constant, we need to use the boundary condition given in the problem, which is V=Vo(0) at the surface of the sphere. This means that at the surface, the potential is equal to the specified value Vo(0).

To find the constant, we can use the method of separation of variables. This involves assuming that the potential can be written as a product of two functions, one depending only on the radial coordinate (r) and the other depending only on the angular coordinate (@). So, we can write V(r,@)=R(r)P(@). Substituting this into the general solution, we get V(r,@)=\sumAlrlpl(cos@)=Vo(0).

Now, we can use the boundary condition at the surface to determine the value of the constant A. Since the potential is constant at the surface, we can write V(r,@)=A. This means that at the surface, the potential is equal to A. So, we can equate this to Vo(0) and solve for A. This will give us the value of the constant A.

To find the constant A, we can use the method you have mentioned, which is to integrate the general solution over the range of the variables. In this case, we need to integrate over the range of the angular coordinate (@). This is where the integral \int-1 to 1 Pl(x)Pl'(x)dx= \int 0 to pie pl(cos@)p'(cos@)sin@d@ comes in. This integral is a standard result in mathematical tables and can be easily evaluated. Once we have the value of A, we can substitute it back into the general solution to get the potential inside the hollow sphere.

I hope this helps to clarify the solution. Let me know if you have any further questions. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. What is the formula for finding the potential inside a sphere?

The formula for finding the potential inside a sphere is V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere.

2. How do I calculate the electric field inside a sphere?

The electric field inside a sphere can be calculated by taking the derivative of the potential formula, which is E = -kQ/r^2. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the Gauss's Law.

3. Does the potential inside a sphere depend on the size or charge of the sphere?

Yes, the potential inside a sphere is directly proportional to the charge of the sphere and inversely proportional to the radius of the sphere. Therefore, a larger charge or smaller radius will result in a higher potential inside the sphere.

4. Can the potential inside a sphere be negative?

Yes, the potential inside a sphere can be negative depending on the charge distribution within the sphere. If there is a negative charge at the center of the sphere, the potential inside the sphere will be negative.

5. How is the potential inside a sphere affected by the presence of other charges or objects?

The potential inside a sphere can be affected by the presence of other charges or objects in its surroundings. The presence of a nearby charge or object can create an external electric field, which can affect the potential inside the sphere. However, the potential inside a sphere is only affected by the charges or objects within its own boundaries.