Find the potential energy function

In summary: On the broken line the first two are still 0 but on the third of those all three are non-zero.In summary, the given force F = -2 N/m^3 ( (2xyz - z^3)i + x^2z j + (x^2y - 3xz^2)k ) can be found using the potential energy function U(x) = -∫Fdx. To find the work done by this force on a 4-kg block moved from the reference point to the origin, a path integral must be used. The initial acceleration of the block can be found by guessing a potential function U and checking if its gradient is equal to -F.
brianbigb03

Homework Statement

1. Given F = -2 N/m^3 ( (2xyz - z^3)i + x^2z j + (x^2y - 3xz^2)k ).
a. Find the potential energy function for this force, taking (i + 2 j + k) m as reference point.
b. Find the work done by this force on a 4-kg block moved from the reference point to the
origin.
c. Find the initial acceleration of the block, if at that time this was the only force on it.

Homework Equations

U(x) = -∫Fdx

The Attempt at a Solution

for a. can i integrate i j and k seperately? using the reference points as my limits?
and then i have no clue where to begin on b. and c.
any help is greatly appreciated

Attachments

• q1.jpg
    q1.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 417
Physics news on Phys.org
brianbigb03 said:

Homework Statement

1. Given F = -2 N/m^3 ( (2xyz - z^3)i + x^2z j + (x^2y - 3xz^2)k ).
a. Find the potential energy function for this force, taking (i + 2 j + k) m as reference point.
b. Find the work done by this force on a 4-kg block moved from the reference point to the
origin.
c. Find the initial acceleration of the block, if at that time this was the only force on it.

Homework Equations

U(x) = -∫Fdx

The Attempt at a Solution

for a. can i integrate i j and k seperately? using the reference points as my limits?
and then i have no clue where to begin on b. and c.
any help is greatly appreciated

You don't integrate Fdx. You integrate the dot product of F.dr where r(t) is a path connecting the reference points. I'd suggest taking a straight line. Once you take the dot product there's no i,j,k left. And you can only play this game if curl(F)=0. Did they want you to check that?

they didnt specify. but I am assuming that the curl is 0.

brianbigb03 said:
they didnt specify. but I am assuming that the curl is 0.

It is. You can check that if you need to. But my point is that you need to do a path integral, not just a dx integral. Part c is really much easier than the other two, you really should be able to handle that one even if the other two are giving problems.

yea i have been working on other problems since i wasnt sure how to start this one. But i did the dot product and for my function i got.
2*((2xyz-z^3)+(2x^2z)+(x^2y-3xz^2).

stop me if I am wrong here but the rest should be:

part b looks like i just use (1,2,1) and plug them into my potential function

part c is just a=f/m

An alternative to the path integral is basically trying to guess a function U(x,y,z) whose gradient is F. It's not really too hard. Try it.

brianbigb03 said:
yea i have been working on other problems since i wasnt sure how to start this one. But i did the dot product and for my function i got.
2*((2xyz-z^3)+(2x^2z)+(x^2y-3xz^2).

stop me if I am wrong here but the rest should be:

part b looks like i just use (1,2,1) and plug them into my potential function

part c is just a=f/m

Yeah, I'll stop you there. Maybe you aren't really doing path integrals. See my last post. Try to guess a potential function and then see if it works. You know the gradient of U is -F, yes? And sure, once you have that b is easy. c is easy any way you do it and you don't need a and b to do it.

almost forgot i have to integrate this dot porduct but that shouldn't be too hard.

ok let me try that then.

ok so the grad of F is the partial with respect to x,y,z. so if f is the gradient i need to indiviually integrate i j k with respect to x y z.

brianbigb03 said:
ok so the grad of F is the partial with respect to x,y,z. so if f is the gradient i need to indiviually integrate i j k with respect to x y z.

Sort of, sure. If you can find a U such that grad(U)=(-F) then you are done. I kind of think of it more like guessing as with that as a hint. Can you find U? Mmm. It doesn't have any i,j,k in it. It's a scalar function.

Last edited:
And so now I see where the rest of the class is on the test...:). 11 more to go!

ok i collected the common terms in i j k so i understand that but when i try to find the work (w = -(change in potential) i get 0.

brianbigb03 said:
ok i collected the common terms in i j k so i understand that but when i try to find the work (w = -(change in potential) i get 0.

What did you get for a potential function?

The simplest thing to do is integrate along the straight line from (1, 2, -3) to (x, y, z). However you could also use the "broken" line from (1, 2, -3) to (x, 2, -3), then to (x, y, -3), then to (x, y, z). On the first of those only x varies so only the "dx" part is non-zero, on the second only y varies so only the "dy" part is non-zero, and on the third only z varies so only the "dz" part is non-zero.

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the stored energy an object has due to its position or configuration.

2. How is potential energy related to force?

Potential energy is related to force through the force-displacement relationship. The force acting on an object is equal to the negative derivative of its potential energy with respect to its displacement.

3. What is the difference between gravitational potential energy and elastic potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field, while elastic potential energy is the energy stored in a stretched or compressed elastic material.

4. How do you find the potential energy function for a system?

The potential energy function for a system can be found by considering the types of forces acting on the system and the work done by those forces. The potential energy function is typically defined as the negative of the work done by conservative forces.

5. Can potential energy be negative?

Yes, potential energy can be negative. This occurs when the reference point for potential energy is chosen such that the object has a lower potential energy than at its current position. This is often the case with the potential energy of a particle in a gravitational field.