Find the power series in x for the general solution of?

In summary, the student was struggling to find the correct answer for a power series in x for the general solution of a differential equation. After working out the problem, they made a mistake in their calculations and corrected it. They were then able to determine that their answer matched the one given in the textbook.
Math10

Homework Statement

Find the power series in x for the general solution of (1+x^2)y"+6xy'+6y=0.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got up to an+2=-an(n+3)/(n+1)
for n=1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6...
a3=-2a1
a4=0
a5=3a1
a6=0
a7=-4a1
a8=0
The answer in the book says y=a0sigma from m=0 to infinity of (-1)^m * (2m+1)x2m+a1sigma from m=0 to infinity of (-1)^m * (m+1) x^(2m+1). How do I get the correct answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Math10 said:
I got up to an+2=-an(n+3)/(n+1)
for n=1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6...
a3=-2a1

You didn't explain how you got those results. One way to solve this kind of problem is to do manipulations with summations using the ##\Sigma## notation. Another way is to work out cases for specific powers of ##x## until you see how to express the result as a pattern using the ##\Sigma## notation. Which method do your class materials expect you to use ?

Assume ## y = A_0 + A_1 x + A_2 x^2 + A_3 x^3 + ... = \Sigma_{i=0}^\infty A_i x^i##. To start things off, what is the summation that represents ##y'## ?

Just like you mentioned, I got those results by finding y, y' and y'' and then plugging those into the differential equation and simplify. But at the end after finding all the values of a3, a4, a5, etc. I don't know how to get to the correct answer in the textbook.

Attachments

• de.jpg
    de.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 414
The picture of your work is upside down.

Now I believe you can take a look at my work. Sorry about that.

Attachments

• de1.jpg
    de1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 404
After the step:

## \sum_{n=0}^\infty {(n+2)(n+1)A_{n+2}x^n} + \sum_{n=2}^\infty {(n)(n-1)A_nx^n}+ 6 \sum_{n=1}^\infty {(n)A_n x^n }+ 6 \sum_{n=0}^\infty A_n x^n = 0 ##

I don't see how you concluded ##A_0 = 0 ##

## (2)(1) A_2 x^0 + (3)(2)A_3x^1 + \sum_{n=2}^\infty {(n+2)(n+1)A_{n+2}x^n}##
##+ \sum_{n=2}^\infty {(n)(n-1)A_nx^n}##
##+ (6)(1)A_1x^1 + 6 \sum_{n=2}^\infty {(n)A_n x^n }##
## + 6A_0 x^0 + 6A_1 x^1 + 6 \sum_{n=2}^\infty A_n x^n = 0 ##

## ( 2 A_2 + 6A_0)x^0 ##
## + (6A_3 + 12A_1)x^1##
## + \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} {[ (n+2)(n+1)A_{n+2} + (n)(n-1)A_n + 6nA_n + 6A_n] x^n} = 0 ##

## ( 2 A_2 + 6A_0)x^0##
## + (6A_3 + 12A_1)x^1##
## + \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} {[ n+2)(n+1)A_{n+2} + (n)(n-1)A_n + 6nA_n + 6A_n] x^n} = 0 ##

## ( 2 A_2 + 6A_0) ##
## + (6A_3 + 12A_1)x^1 ##
## + \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} {[ n+2)(n+1)A_{n+2} + ( (n)(n-1) + 6n + 6)A_n] x^n} = 0 ##

Okay, so from where you left off above,
2a2+6a0=0
that means a2=0 and so does a0=0.
And (6a3+12a1)x=0,
that means a3=-2a1.
Now what? How to find the answer from here?

Math10 said:
Okay, so from where you left off above,
2a2+6a0=0
And (6a3+12a1)x=0,
that means a3=-2a1.
Look at what you have so far:

$$y = a_0(1-3x^2...)+a_1(x-2x^3...)$$

Okay, so I got y=a0(1-3x^2-5/3x^4+7/3x^6-3x^8)+a1(x-2x^3+3x^5-4x^7).

Math10 said:
Okay, so I got y=a0(1-3x^2-5/3x^4+7/3x^6-3x^8)+a1(x-2x^3+3x^5-4x^7).
The ##a_0## sum does not match the book answer, but the ##a_1## sum does.

But how do I get to the answer in the book?

Attachments

• de2.jpg
    de2.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 373
Math10 said:
But how do I get to the answer in the book?
Does the answer in the book satisfy the differential equation?

To be honest, I'm not too sure...

Math10 said:
To be honest, I'm not too sure...
What do you get if you substitute their answer term for term?

I still don't get it.

Math10 said:
I still don't get it.
Your methodology looks correct. That's the important part. If their answer is correct and you don't match it, you must have made a simple "arithmetic" error somewhere.

Likes Math10
After checking my work, I think I have made a stupid mistake.
Now I got y=a0(1-3x^2-5x^4+7x^6-9x^8)+a1(x-2x^3+3x^5-4x^7). Does this match the answer in the book?

Math10 said:
2a2+6a0=0
No, it doesn't imply a definite value for ##A_0## or ##A_2##. (After all, the solution to a differential equation should contain some arbitrary constants that are determined only when you are given some initial conditions.)

Math10 said:
##A_2 = - 3 A_0 ##

##A_3 = - 2 A_1 ##

## A_{n+2} = -\frac{n^2 + 5n + 6}{(n+2)(n+1)} A_n = -\frac{(n+2)(n+3)}{(n+2)(n+1) } A_n ##

So we can take ##A_0## and ##A_1## as the arbitrary constants and express all the other ##A_i ## in terms of ##A_0 ## and ##A_1 ##.

Math10 said:
After checking my work, I think I have made a stupid mistake.
Now I got y=a0(1-3x^2-5x^4+7x^6-9x^8)+a1(x-2x^3+3x^5-4x^7). Does this match the answer in the book?
You should be able to determine this yourself. The answer does match.

Likes Math10
Chestermiller said:
You should be able to determine this yourself. The answer does match.
Thank you so much for the great help! You've made this type of problem much easier to solve now.

1. What is a power series in terms of mathematics?

A power series is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of powers of a variable, typically written as a0 + a1x + a2x2 + a3x3 + ... + anxn + ..., where an represents the coefficient of xn.

2. How is the general solution of a power series determined?

The general solution of a power series is determined by finding a pattern in the coefficients an and using this pattern to write a formula for the function represented by the power series.

3. What does it mean to find the power series in x for the general solution of a function?

Finding the power series in x for the general solution of a function means to write the function as an infinite sum of powers of x, using a pattern in the coefficients to determine the formula for the function.

4. How is the general solution of a function related to its power series representation?

The general solution of a function is the formula that represents the function, while the power series is an infinite sum of powers of a variable that can be used to approximate the function. The coefficients in the power series can also provide information about the function.

5. What is the purpose of finding the power series in x for the general solution of a function?

The purpose of finding the power series in x for the general solution of a function is to have a more convenient and compact representation of the function, which can be used for various mathematical operations and approximations. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the behavior of the function and its properties.