1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the probabilities

1. Sep 5, 2013 #1
    Finding probabilities through general addition rule

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://postimg.org/image/q9ztktpot/ [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    P(A or B)=P(A)+P(B)-P(A and B)
    P(A and B)=P(A)P(B)

3. The attempt at a solution
    The question is for part b). It said it was only focused on the mens so i ignored all the other numbers.
    I used the general addition rule where P(A or B)=P(A)+P(B)-P(A and B). Since these events are independent, i used this equation... P(A and B)=P(A)P(B). I found P(A) from 400/2000= 0.2
    I found P(B) from 500/2000=0.25. Then i found P(A and B)=P(A)P(B)=0.05

Now i plugged it into the general addition rule... P(A or B)=0.2+0.25-0.05=0.4 but it was wrong.
    What did i do wrong?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2013 #2
    The events are not independent, they are exclusive; if a man likes the commercial the probability that he is neutral is zero.

But you do not need probabilty theory to answer (b) anyway - it is a simple percentage question.

4. Sep 5, 2013 #3
    Would it just be (400+500)/2000 =0.45?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  5. Sep 5, 2013 #4
    Yes :)

6. Sep 5, 2013 #5
    is it because the two varibles cant overlap because their exclusive so we dont have to account for the everlap so we dont need to use the inclusion-exclusion rule?

7. Sep 5, 2013 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your question is impossible to answer, since you do not tell us what you mean by A and B, etc.

8. Sep 5, 2013 #7
    Let A be the males that like the commercial and B, the male that are neutral towards the commercial

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted