• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Find the probabilities

• Thread starter maiad
  • Start date
Finding probabilities through general addition rule

Homework Statement

http://postimg.org/image/q9ztktpot/ [Broken]

Homework Equations

P(A or B)=P(A)+P(B)-P(A and B)
P(A and B)=P(A)P(B)

The Attempt at a Solution

The question is for part b). It said it was only focused on the mens so i ignored all the other numbers.
I used the general addition rule where P(A or B)=P(A)+P(B)-P(A and B). Since these events are independent, i used this equation... P(A and B)=P(A)P(B). I found P(A) from 400/2000= 0.2
I found P(B) from 500/2000=0.25. Then i found P(A and B)=P(A)P(B)=0.05

Now i plugged it into the general addition rule... P(A or B)=0.2+0.25-0.05=0.4 but it was wrong.
What did i do wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

pbuk
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The events are not independent, they are exclusive; if a man likes the commercial the probability that he is neutral is zero.

But you do not need probabilty theory to answer (b) anyway - it is a simple percentage question.

Would it just be (400+500)/2000 =0.45?

Last edited:
pbuk
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yes :)

is it because the two varibles cant overlap because their exclusive so we dont have to account for the everlap so we dont need to use the inclusion-exclusion rule?

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
is it because the two varibles cant overlap because their exclusive so we dont have to account for the everlap so we dont need to use the inclusion-exclusion rule?
Your question is impossible to answer, since you do not tell us what you mean by A and B, etc.

Let A be the males that like the commercial and B, the male that are neutral towards the commercial