1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the probability distribution

1. Oct 1, 2004 #1
    Given the probability distribution function

[tex]

f(x) = \frac{2}{9}(x-1), -1<x<2

[/tex]

find the pdf of [tex] Y = X^2 [/tex]

My Solution:

When x = -1, y = 1 and when x = 2, y = 4, so the range of y is

[tex]

1 \leq y \leq 4

[/tex]

So to find the pdf of Y = X^2, we need to find the cdf of Y. Since Y is nontrivial over the interval [tex] 1 \leq y \leq 4 [/tex],

[tex]

F(y) = P(1 \leq Y \leq y)
    =P(1 \leq x^2 \leq y)

[/tex]

I'm at a loss here. I do not know how I should deal with square rooting the x, since [tex] x^2 \leq y [/tex] is rewritten as [tex] -\sqrt{y} \leq x \leq \sqrt{y}[/tex]

Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What you have is correct: [itex]-\sqrt{y}\leqx\leq\sqrt{y}[/itex]. Now integrate your pdf for x, (2/9)(x-1) from -y to y (be careful about y> 1!).

4. Oct 1, 2004 #3
    err... when you mean about be careful of y>1, do you mean that I have to seperate the integral like this:

[tex]

\int^{1}_{-\sqrt{y}} f(x)dx + \int^{\sqrt{y}}_{1} f(x)dx

[/tex]

Because I know that y=1 should not be within the range of y (since y is just greater than 1)

Edit:

I got a cdf of [tex]-4\sqrt{y} [/tex]. Im sure I did something wrong and it must have something to do with that y>1 precaustion...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  5. Oct 1, 2004 #4
    Hello relinquished! Isn't it that it should be 2/9 (x + 1) as the given?

6. Oct 1, 2004 #5
    well... if the pdf really is [tex] \frac{2}{9}(x+1) [/tex] then I should look back at the book ^^;

7. Oct 2, 2004 #6
    I don't think it is found in the book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?