Find the probability it will be red

In summary, the question asks for the probability of drawing a red ball from a randomly selected urn. Urn 1 contains 5 red balls and 3 black balls, Urn 2 contains 3 red balls and 1 black ball, and Urn 3 contains 4 red balls and 2 black balls. If all balls are treated as if they are in one huge urn, the probability is 12/18 or 49/72.
mutnauq
I need a help with this question please:

Urn 1 contains 5 red balls & 3 black balls.
Urn 2 contains 3 red balls & 1 black ball.
Urn 3 contains 4 red balls & 2 black balls.
If an urn is selected at random and a ball is drawn, find the probability it will be red.

Thanks for helping.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the urn is selected at random, can't you just treated as if all the balls were in 1 huge urn? I think it's just 12/18 right?

no, probability of getting each urn is 1/3

so

(1/3)(5/8)+(1/3)(3/4)+(1/3)(4/6)=49/72

I am thinking this way, but am not sre.

mutnauq said:
no, probability of getting each urn is 1/3

so

(1/3)(5/8)+(1/3)(3/4)+(1/3)(4/6)=49/72

I am thinking this way, but am not sre.
sounds right.

What does "Find the probability it will be red" mean?

"Find the probability it will be red" is a phrase commonly used in probability and statistics to ask about the likelihood of a specific outcome occurring. In this case, it is asking about the chances of something being red.

How is the probability of something being red calculated?

The probability of something being red is calculated by dividing the number of red outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if there are 5 red balls and 10 total balls in a bag, the probability of picking a red ball would be 5/10 or 0.5.

What factors can affect the probability of something being red?

The factors that can affect the probability of something being red include the total number of possible outcomes, the number of red outcomes, and any external influences or biases.

Is there a difference between theoretical and experimental probabilities?

Yes, theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes all outcomes are equally likely, while experimental probability is based on actual data from experiments or observations. The two may differ due to chance or external factors.

Can the probability of something being red change over time?

Yes, the probability of something being red can change over time if the factors that affect it change. For example, if more red objects are added to a group, the probability of picking a red object will increase.