1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the radii of the two stars

1. Oct 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    From the light and velocity curves of an eclipsing, double-lined spectroscopic binary
    star system, it is determined that the orbital period is 3.15 yr, and the maximum radial
    velocities of stars A and B are 5.2 km s^-1 and 21.6 km s^-1, respectively. Furthermore,
    the time between first contact and minimum light is tb-ta = 0.45 days, while the length
    of the primary minimum is tc -tb = 0.52 days. Relative to the maximum brightness,
    the primary minimum is only 54.8% as bright, while the secondary minimum is 88.1%
    as bright
    You may assume the orbits are circular and seen perfectly edge on.

Find the ratio of the stellar masses (mA/mB), the sum of the masses (M =
    mA + mB), and the individual masses (mA and mB).
    (b) Find the radii of the two stars. Hint: Use the speed of one star relative to the
    other and the eclipse timings given.

2. Relevant equations
    v1=(2pie a1)/p r=a(1-e^2)/(1+ecos@) m1=(4V1^2*r1)/G

[c]3. The attempt at a solution[/b]
    so becasue its edge on that means inclination angle is 90degrees so thats the real velocity and e = 0 too so just use these formula to find masses right?
    now for part B would i just the formula r=a(1-e^2)/(1+ecos@) to find the radii? checked in book showed this as radii but hint says to use something different i think

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2010 #2
    nvm i think i figured it out

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?