Find the radius of a particle's circular path

In summary, a particle moves along a circular path on a horizontal xy plane at a constant speed. At t1=3.00s, its acceleration is (3i-5j) m/s^2 and at t2=7.00s, its acceleration is (-3i+5j) m/s^2. The radius of the particle's circular path can be found using the equation centripetal acceleration = v^2/r.
David Williams

Homework Statement

A particle moves along a circular path over a horizontal xy plane at a constant speed. At time t1= 3.00s, its acceleration vector is given by (3i-5j) m/s^2. At time t2=7.00 s, its acceleration is given by (-3i+5j) m/s^2.
Find the radius of the particle's circular path.

Homework Equations

centripetal acceleration = v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Stumbling around for about an hour with no clue what to do... left me with nothing to show for.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello David, :welcome:

David Williams said:
no clue what to do
Doesn't count as an attempt at solution; according to the PF rules we're not allowed to assist in such a case.

But for a first post I'll stick out my neck :rolleyes:: You have two acceleration vectors; notice anything particular about them ? Could that help you towards another expression involving ##v## and ##r## ?

What is the formula for finding the radius of a particle's circular path?

The formula for finding the radius of a particle's circular path is r = mv/qB, where r is the radius, m is the mass of the particle, v is its velocity, q is its charge, and B is the strength of the magnetic field.

How do I know if a particle is moving in a circular path?

If a particle is moving in a circular path, it will have a constant speed and its direction will continuously change, resulting in a curved path. Additionally, the particle may experience a centripetal force towards the center of the circle.

Can I use this formula for any type of circular motion?

No, this formula is specifically for finding the radius of a particle's circular path in a magnetic field. Other types of circular motion, such as circular motion due to gravitational forces, will require different formulas.

What are the units for the variables in the formula?

The units for the variables in the formula are as follows: r (radius) is measured in meters (m), m (mass) is measured in kilograms (kg), v (velocity) is measured in meters per second (m/s), q (charge) is measured in coulombs (C), and B (magnetic field strength) is measured in teslas (T).

Can I use this formula to find the radius of a particle's circular path in any magnetic field?

Yes, this formula can be used for any magnetic field. However, you must ensure that the units for each variable are consistent with the units of the magnetic field strength (teslas) in order to get an accurate result.