Find the radius of the circle for this airplane

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a physics problem involving a banked turn of an airplane. Participants mention using equations such as f=ma and v^2/r, as well as discussing the correct method for finding the radius of the turn. They also discuss the importance of drawing the situation accurately and using the correct definitions for angles. Ultimately, the issue is resolved by using the cotangent function in the equation.
isukatphysics69

Homework Statement

airplane.PNG

Homework Equations

f=ma
v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Σfx = FNcos(θ) = (v^2/r)*m
Σfy = FNsin(θ) - mg = 0
FN = mg/sin(θ)
(mg/sin(θ))*cos(θ) = (v^2/r)*m
gcos(θ)*r = v^2*sin(θ)
r = v^2sin(θ)/gcos(θ) v = 150m/s θ = 38
r = 1793m
i have already solved this one a while ago and am reviewing for test tommorow and getting a bullocks answer that is not correct what on Earth am i doing wrong here?

Attachments

• airplane.PNG
    airplane.PNG
    7.5 KB · Views: 754
Physics news on Phys.org
Try a sanity check of your final formula. For very tiny bank angle, you get r nearly 0 because of the sin(theta). You should get r very large. What does that tell you?

Likes CWatters
FactChecker said:
Try a sanity check of your final formula. For very tiny bank angle, you get r nearly 0 because of the sin(theta). You should get r very large. What does that tell you?
ok i just used cotangent and got the correct answer.. i am not seeing what i did wrong algabraicly let me look back thank you

Likes FactChecker
fbd.PNG

Attachments

• fbd.PNG
    fbd.PNG
    3.3 KB · Views: 755
i do not see what i did wrong algabraically

isukatphysics69 said:
Theta from the OP is the angle the wings make with the horizontal. Have you drawn it consistently with that definition? When theta equals zero (that is, when the plane is horizontal) are you saying the normal force will be horizontal too? (That’s what your picture shows.)

Likes haruspex and FactChecker
The force that drives an airplane in a curved path is the component of lift directed toward the center of the path, L sin θ, where θ is the bank angle. So L sin θ = m v^2/r. If the airplane is flying in a horizontal path, that also means the vertical component of lift equals the weight, L cos θ = mg..And of course L = CL q S, where CL= lift coefficient, q=dynamic pressure, S=wing area.

If you solve the vertical equation for the lift and substitute it into the radial equation and solve for the radius, you will find the tangent function in the denominator not the numerator.

@isukatphysics69 Hi, can you explain where did you put the cotangent in your formula?

See #7 & #8.

1. What is the formula for finding the radius of a circle?

The formula for finding the radius of a circle is r = c / (2 * π), where r is the radius, c is the circumference, and π is a constant approximately equal to 3.14.

2. How do I measure the circumference of a circle?

The circumference of a circle can be measured by using a flexible measuring tape or string to wrap around the circle, then measuring the length of the tape or string in centimeters or inches.

3. Can I use the diameter instead of the circumference to find the radius of a circle?

Yes, you can use the diameter instead of the circumference to find the radius of a circle. The formula for this would be r = d / 2, where r is the radius and d is the diameter.

4. How do I find the radius of a circle if I only know the area?

If you only know the area of a circle, you can use the formula r = √(A/π), where r is the radius and A is the area.

5. Can I find the radius of a circle if I only know two points on the circle's circumference?

Yes, you can find the radius of a circle if you know two points on the circumference. This can be done by using the distance formula to find the distance between the two points, then dividing that distance by 2 to get the radius.