1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the radius of the star

1. Mar 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

P=Kρ^2 is a solution to the equation of the combination of the Hydrostatic Support equation and the mass continuity equation. Find the radius of the star.

2. Relevant equations
    ρ(r) = (A / r) sin (root( 2πG/K) r)

3. The attempt at a solution
    The first part of this was to prove first it was a solution which I have done fairly easily, however the last part about the radius has left me confused.
    I figured the density at the surface (r=R) was equal to zero therefore:

0=(A / r) sin (root( 2πG/K) r)

And for the non trivial solution:

sin (root( 2πG/K) r)=0

so root(2πG/K) r)=nπ (for n integer)

However this would give a range of radii for the star which doesn't seem right.
    Can you see what I've done wrong, thanks?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You get a position of zero density at root(2πG/K) r)=π. Do you expect matter outside this region? What would support it?
    Is ρ(r) = (A / r) sin (root( 2πG/K) r) even valid outside that region?

4. Mar 16, 2016 #3
    What happens to the other solutions? Surely root(2πG/K) r)=2π etc is still valid? and the density should only hold for the star up to radius R, and no there wouldn't be matter outside the region.

5. Mar 18, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It is a mathematical solution, but the density profile is not described by a sine in that area any more. The density is zero after the function hits its first zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted