Find the range of acceleration so that the drums won't fall

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the range by listing out Newton's 2nd laws for each drum and using equations to determine the upper bound of acceleration. However, the problem of finding the lower bound of acceleration is then brought up and it is suggested to consider two cases in which the system falls apart. It is also mentioned that the normal forces in these two cases may provide insight into the lower bound of acceleration.
QuantumRose
Problem:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=19PDuyshgP6u4U9mXU3BfrF031J8wL12B
oil_drums.png

Attempt: I tried to solve the range by listing out the Newton's 2nd laws of each drum
1.png

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Eslg2Wy3orG41eywwm_O6qN4OQ3QN-bA
and from the equations of the drum 2, I get
N1_N2.png

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19MFda8L_YuDBlsOg1_76O3-w1rJjHhfW
Since drum 2 must stay on the bottom drums, so it will not fly up, thus
upper_bound.png

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tpDM2zHyDQ84m73GC0EgcZsNz5Q4tq1z
I got the upper bound of the acceleration, but I don't know if it is correct.My question:
Although I got the seemingly correct upper bound of the acceleration, but I don't know how I can get the lower bound of the acceleration?

Attachments

• oil_drums.png
    oil_drums.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 797
  • 1.png
    1.png
    16 KB · Views: 541
  • N1_N2.png
    N1_N2.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 473
  • upper_bound.png
    upper_bound.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
None of your images show up
upload_2018-9-19_15-0-25.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-19_15-0-25.png
    upload_2018-9-19_15-0-25.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 695
phinds said:
None of your images show up
View attachment 230886
I just fixed that, now it should be fine.

QuantumRose said:
got the seemingly correct upper bound of the acceleration, but I don't know how I can get the lower bound of the acceleration?
Each bound corresponds to the system falling apart. In which two ways can that happen? What can you say about the normal forces in those two cases?

haruspex said:
Each bound corresponds to the system falling apart. In which two ways can that happen? What can you say about the normal forces in those two cases?

Well, I think there are two cases, one is for the upper bound I solved(corresponds to the top drum flying up); the other case is for the lower bound(it corresponds to the situation when the top drum is falling down, i.e. N_1 and N_2 are not enough to support the top drum.)

1. What is the range of acceleration that will prevent the drums from falling?

The range of acceleration that will prevent the drums from falling depends on various factors such as the weight and size of the drums, the surface they are placed on, and the coefficient of friction between the drums and the surface. Therefore, it is not possible to provide a specific range of acceleration without considering these factors.

2. Can the drums be prevented from falling by increasing the acceleration?

Increasing the acceleration can help prevent the drums from falling, but it is not the only factor that affects their stability. It is important to also consider the other factors mentioned above to determine the appropriate range of acceleration.

3. What is the maximum acceleration that can be applied without causing the drums to fall?

The maximum acceleration that can be applied without causing the drums to fall depends on the stability of the drums and the surface they are placed on. It is important to carefully consider these factors to determine the safe and appropriate maximum acceleration.

4. Can the drums be prevented from falling by reducing the acceleration?

Reducing the acceleration may help prevent the drums from falling, but it is not the only factor that affects their stability. It is important to also consider the weight and size of the drums, as well as the coefficient of friction between the drums and the surface, to determine the appropriate range of acceleration.

5. What are some other methods to prevent the drums from falling?

Aside from controlling the acceleration, there are other methods that can be used to prevent the drums from falling. These include using supports or braces to stabilize the drums, ensuring that the surface they are placed on is level and stable, and using materials with higher coefficients of friction to increase their grip on the surface.