The range for y if t>=10 is [-4, 0].

In summary, the conversation discusses the range of y(t) for t>10 in the equation y' = y^2 - y - 2 = (y+1)(y-2), where y(10) = 0. It is determined that either y=-4 or y=0 is the lower bound, and for t>10, y can tend to -1 or infinity.
JessicaHelena
Homework Statement
Consider the equation ##y' = y^2 - y - 2 = (y+1)(y-2).## If ##y(10) = 0##, find the range of y(t) for ##t>10##. That is, find the best A and B such that ##A<y(t)<B## for t>10.
Relevant Equations
N/A
From integration by parts, and using y(10) = 0, I get the equation ##2e^{3t-30} = \frac{|y-2|}{|y+1|}.##

Let ##f(t) = 2e^{3t-30}##.
Since it's for t>10, f(10) = 2, and we have ##2=\frac{|y-2|}{|y+1|}##. Depending on the sign I choose to use, I get either that y=-4 or y =0. Since ##t: 10 \rightarrow \infty##, either y=-4 or y=0 is the lower bound.

For ##t \rightarrow \infty##, we have ##\infty = \frac{|y-2|}{|y+1|}## (I realize this is not really considered a valid equation...). But considering how the numerator and denominator are both y (the largest power, that is), I don't see how it could tend to ##\infty##.

Any help would truly be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
JessicaHelena said:
Homework Statement:: Consider the equation ##y' = y^2 - y - 2 = (y+1)(y-2).## If ##y(10) = 0##, find the range of y(t) for ##t>10##. That is, find the best A and B such that ##A<y(t)<B## for t>10.
Homework Equations:: N/A

From integration by parts, and using y(10) = 0, I get the equation ##2e^{3t-30} = \frac{|y-2|}{|y+1|}.##
I get a solution that's quite different. A simpler approach might be to separate the DE, and then use partial fraction decomposition. After separation you end up with ##\int \frac{1}{(y+1)(y - 2)} dy = \int dt##. The integral on the left can be evaluated without much work.
JessicaHelena said:

Since it's for t>10, f(10) = 2, and we have ##2=\frac{|y-2|}{|y+1|}##. Depending on the sign I choose to use, I get either that y=-4 or y =0. Since ##t: 10 \rightarrow \infty##, either y=-4 or y=0 is the lower bound.

For ##t \rightarrow \infty##, we have ##\infty = \frac{|y-2|}{|y+1|}## (I realize this is not really considered a valid equation...). But considering how the numerator and denominator are both y (the largest power, that is), I don't see how it could tend to ##\infty##.

Any help would truly be appreciated!

Is it really necessary to actually solve the DE? What about looking at the slope of the direction field? You have ##y' = (y+1)(y-2)## so the slope is negative when ##-1 < y < 2## and positive otherwise. What could the graph possibly do if ##y(10)=0##?

• Informative
Likes ehild and Mark44
JessicaHelena said:
Homework Statement:: Consider the equation ##y' = y^2 - y - 2 = (y+1)(y-2).## If ##y(10) = 0##, find the range of y(t) for ##t>10##. That is, find the best A and B such that ##A<y(t)<B## for t>10.
Homework Equations:: N/A

Your solution is correct, but It is given that y=0 when t=10. In what interval should be y ? What is the y(t) function then? Is it monotonous?
JessicaHelena said:
y can tend to -1 and then your f(t) tends to infinity. So what is the range for y if t>=10?

Last edited:

What is a DE?

A DE, or differential equation, is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model real-world phenomena.

Why is it important to find the range of y in a DE?

Knowing the range of y in a DE allows us to understand the behavior of the system or phenomenon being modeled. It can also help us determine the stability and existence of solutions to the DE.

How do you find the range of y in a DE?

The range of y in a DE can be found by solving the DE and observing the values that y takes on. This can be done analytically or numerically using methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or numerical approximation techniques.

What factors can affect the range of y in a DE?

The range of y in a DE can be affected by the initial conditions, boundary conditions, and the form of the DE itself. It can also be influenced by any external variables or forces that may be present in the system being modeled.

What are some applications of finding the range of y in a DE?

Finding the range of y in a DE has many practical applications, such as predicting the behavior of physical systems, optimizing processes, and understanding population dynamics. It is also used in fields such as finance, biology, and chemistry to model and analyze complex systems.