Find the ratio of mass spring, oscillation problem

In summary, the conversation is about finding the ratio of the mass of two identical springs, M1 and M2, based on their frequency of oscillation. The person asking for help is unsure of which equations to use, but it is suggested that they use the relationship between frequency, mass, and spring constant in simple harmonic motion. The person is advised to set up a ratio and use the equation F=1/2pi * sqrt(k/m) to solve for the masses of the two springs. They also mention that they do not want someone to solve the problem for them, but rather help them understand how to solve it.
th3plan

Homework Statement

Two identical springs have attached mass M1 on the one and mass m2 on the other. We found that the psrings with mass m1 osciallates with a 2/5 frequency of the other spring.. Find the ratio of the mass of spring B to that of spring A ( M2/M1)

Can someone work this out, so i can learn how to do it, because i don't get which equations to use to get a M2/M1 ratio, i know one for frequency F2/F1 , but not this

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried?

th3plan said:
i don't get which equations to use …

Hi th3plan! :smile:

Well, what equations do you know?

Tell us, and we'll tell you which one to use! :smile:

What is frequency?
What is the magnitude of spring force?

this is a simple harmonic problem, u don't need to know frequency or magnitude, because your just deriving an equation from it i believe, with the use of other equations

For the simple harmonic motion of a mass on a spring, how are frequency, mass, and spring constant related? Once you have that basic formula, set up a ratio.

th3plan said:
this is a simple harmonic problem, u don't need to know frequency or magnitude, because your just deriving an equation from it i believe, with the use of other equations

So what have you tried? Nobody here will work this out for you since its not the policy of this forum to do your homework, but to help you with it.

See this page, it may help:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/shm.html

Of course i don't want you to do my homework. I don't learn anything .

This is what i would think to do. I know frequency is 2/5, so to use equation

F=1/2pi [tex]\sqrt{k/m}[/tex]

That's all you need. Now plug in [itex]f_1, m_1[/itex] and compare with [itex]f_2, m_2[/itex].

yes that what i was thinking to do :), just wanted to be sure

1. What is the mass-spring oscillation problem?

The mass-spring oscillation problem is a classic physics problem that involves a spring attached to a mass and the resulting motion when the mass is displaced from its equilibrium position. The problem is often used to study properties of harmonic motion and simple harmonic oscillators.

2. How do you find the ratio of mass in a mass-spring oscillation problem?

To find the ratio of mass in a mass-spring oscillation problem, you need to know the spring constant (k) and the period of oscillation (T). The ratio of mass is then calculated using the formula m = 4π²kT². This formula can also be rearranged to find the spring constant or period if the other two values are known.

3. Why is finding the ratio of mass important in a mass-spring oscillation problem?

The ratio of mass in a mass-spring oscillation problem is important because it helps determine the frequency and period of the oscillation, which in turn affects the amplitude and energy of the system. By understanding the ratio of mass, we can also make predictions about the behavior of the system and how it will respond to different forces.

4. What factors can affect the ratio of mass in a mass-spring oscillation problem?

The main factors that can affect the ratio of mass in a mass-spring oscillation problem are the spring constant and the period of oscillation. Other factors that can also impact the ratio of mass include the amplitude and initial conditions of the system, as well as any external forces acting on the mass-spring system.

5. How can the ratio of mass be used in real-world applications?

The ratio of mass in a mass-spring oscillation problem has practical applications in various fields, including engineering, physics, and even music. In engineering, understanding the ratio of mass can help design and optimize systems that use springs, such as shock absorbers in cars. In physics, the ratio of mass is used to study and analyze oscillatory systems. In music, the ratio of mass can be used to tune instruments and create harmonious sounds.