Find the ratio of the number of boys to the number of girls

• Thread starter dibilo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratio
In summary, the ratio of boys to girls in Class A is 5:6. This was determined by setting an arbitrary value and solving for the ratio using the given information about the number of boys and girls in Class A and Class B.
dibilo
my 12 year old bro brought this question to mi and i was dumbfounded...feel so stupid :cry: by logic i know its 2:1 . but i can't explain ..maybe u guys can have a go.

Class A and Class B have the same number of pupils. The ratio of the number of boys in Class A to the number of boys in Class B is 3:2. The ratio of the number of girls in Class A to the number of girls in Class B is 3:5. Find the ratio of the number of boys to the number of girls in Class A. :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
xA = number of boys in class A
yA = number of girls in class A
xB = number of boys in class B
yB = number of girls in class B

given,
xA + yA = xB + yB
xA/xB = 3/2
yA/yB = 3/5

find xA/yA?

-- AI

A very simple way to do this is to simply place an arbitrary value (for instance, 10) for a specific variable and go on from there...plugging in.

boys to girls

b1+g1=b2+g2
b1/b2=3/2
g1/g2=3/5

b1/g1+g1/g1=b2/g1+g2/g1
b1/g1=b2/g1+2/3
b2/g1=b2/b1 * b1/g1

so b1/g1= (2/3)(b1/g1) +2/3

finally b1/g1 =2

i got 5:6 but i am an idiot

What is the meaning of "Find the ratio of the number of boys to the number of girls"?

The ratio of the number of boys to the number of girls refers to the comparison of the number of boys and girls in a given group or population.

How do you calculate the ratio of the number of boys to the number of girls?

To calculate the ratio, divide the number of boys by the number of girls. For example, if there are 20 boys and 10 girls, the ratio would be 20:10 or simplified to 2:1.

What is the purpose of finding the ratio of the number of boys to the number of girls?

The purpose of finding the ratio is to understand the proportion of boys to girls in a group or population. It can also help identify any imbalances or patterns in the gender distribution.

Can the ratio of the number of boys to the number of girls be greater than 1?

Yes, the ratio can be greater than 1. This would indicate that there are more boys than girls in the group or population. For example, a ratio of 3:2 would mean there are 3 boys for every 2 girls.

How does the ratio of the number of boys to the number of girls differ from the percentage of boys and girls?

The ratio is a comparison of the number of boys to the number of girls, while the percentage is a measure of the boys and girls out of the total population. For example, a ratio of 2:1 would be equivalent to 66.7% boys and 33.3% girls.