1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the residue for

1. Apr 14, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find Res(0;f) for

[itex] f(z) = \frac{e^{4z} - 1}{sin^2(z)}.[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

Residue Theorem

3. The attempt at a solution

If there's a nice (z-a)n singularity in the denominator, then I can simply use the Residue Theorem. However, I'm skeptical on what I'm doing:

The singularity occurs at z = 0 and its order is two. Using the Residue Theorem, I can take [itex] \ d/dz(sin^2(z)f(z) = d/dz(e^{4z} - 1) [/itex] evaluated at z = 0 which is 4.

Expressing the terms in a power series gets messy.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2015 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I guess I'm not sure why you are skeptical of that. It looks fine to me.

4. Apr 14, 2015 #3
    Okay. I wasn't sure if I could multiply the sin2z term because it's not of the form (z-a)n as given in the theorem.

5. Apr 14, 2015 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, that is a correct concern. I was being sloppy. Since you know the pole is of order 2 you should be multiplying by ##z^2## and then taking the derivative and the limit. You'll get the same result.

6. Apr 14, 2015 #5
    I thought about that but I'd still have a sin2z term in the denominator if I take the derivative of [itex] f(z) = \frac{z^2(e^{4z} - 1)}{sin^2(z)}[/itex], using the quotient rule.

7. Apr 14, 2015 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are probably better off actually working on the series expansion. Remember you only need the coefficient of the 1/z term. ##e^{4z}-1## has the form ##4z f(z)## where ##f(z)## is analytic and ##f(0)## is not zero. ##sin(z)^2## has the form ##z^2 g(z)## where ##g(z)## is analytic and ##g(0)## is not zero. There may actually not be much series expansion to do.

8. Apr 14, 2015 #7
    Hm. Expanding the numerator of [itex] f(z) = \frac{e^{4z} - 1}{sin^2(z)}[/itex] is easy, i.e. [itex] f(z) = \frac{1 + 4z + \frac{4^2z^2}{2} + ... \frac{4^nz^n}{n!} - 1}{sin^2(z)}.[/itex] I'm not sure how expanding sin2(z) in the denominator would allow me to find the z-1 coefficient.

9. Apr 14, 2015 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, I'll spell it out a little more. I claim that your function can be written as ##\frac{4z f(x)}{z^2 g(z)}## where ##\frac{f(z)}{g(z)}## is analytic at ##z=0##. So ##\frac{f(z)}{g(z)}=a_0+a_1 z+...##. So the coefficient you are looking for is just ##4 a_0## and ##a_0=\frac{f(0)}{g(0)}##.

10. Apr 14, 2015 #9
    Okay. I think I follow you now. Of course, multiplying the analytic quotient [itex]\frac{f(z)}{g(z)}[/itex] by [itex]\frac{4z}{z^2}[/itex] gives me the n = -1 or z-1 coefficient in the Laurent expansion, which should just be [itex]4\frac{f(0)}{g(0)} = 4\frac{1}{1} = 4. [/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted