Find Res(0;f) for f (z)

• Thread starter Shackleford
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Residue
In summary: Okay. I think I follow you now. Of course, multiplying the analytic quotient \frac{f(z)}{g(z)} by \frac{4z}{z^2} gives me the n = -1 or z-1 coefficient in the Laurent expansion, which should just be 4\frac{f(0)}{g(0)} = 4\frac{1}{1} = 4.
Shackleford

Homework Statement

Find Res(0;f) for

[itex] f(z) = \frac{e^{4z} - 1}{sin^2(z)}.[/itex]

Homework Equations

Residue Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

If there's a nice (z-a)n singularity in the denominator, then I can simply use the Residue Theorem. However, I'm skeptical on what I'm doing:

The singularity occurs at z = 0 and its order is two. Using the Residue Theorem, I can take [itex] \ d/dz(sin^2(z)f(z) = d/dz(e^{4z} - 1) [/itex] evaluated at z = 0 which is 4.

Expressing the terms in a power series gets messy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Shackleford said:

Homework Statement

Find Res(0;f) for

[itex] f(z) = \frac{e^{4z} - 1}{sin^2(z)}.[/itex]

Homework Equations

Residue Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

If there's a nice (z-a)n singularity in the denominator, then I can simply use the Residue Theorem. However, I'm skeptical on what I'm doing:

The singularity occurs at z = 0 and its order is two. Using the Residue Theorem, I can take [itex] \ d/dz(sin^2(z)f(z) = d/dz(e^{4z} - 1) [/itex] evaluated at z = 0 which is 4.

Expressing the terms in a power series gets messy.

I guess I'm not sure why you are skeptical of that. It looks fine to me.

Dick said:
I guess I'm not sure why you are skeptical of that. It looks fine to me.

Okay. I wasn't sure if I could multiply the sin2z term because it's not of the form (z-a)n as given in the theorem.

Shackleford said:
Okay. I wasn't sure if I could multiply the sin2z term because it's not of the form (z-a)n as given in the theorem.

Actually, that is a correct concern. I was being sloppy. Since you know the pole is of order 2 you should be multiplying by ##z^2## and then taking the derivative and the limit. You'll get the same result.

Dick said:
Actually, that is a correct concern. I was being sloppy. Since you know the pole is of order 2 you should be multiplying by ##z^2## and then taking the derivative and the limit. You'll get the same result.

I thought about that but I'd still have a sin2z term in the denominator if I take the derivative of [itex] f(z) = \frac{z^2(e^{4z} - 1)}{sin^2(z)}[/itex], using the quotient rule.

Shackleford said:
I thought about that but I'd still have a sin2z term in the denominator if I take the derivative of [itex] f(z) = \frac{z^2(e^{4z} - 1)}{sin^2(z)}[/itex], using the quotient rule.

You are probably better off actually working on the series expansion. Remember you only need the coefficient of the 1/z term. ##e^{4z}-1## has the form ##4z f(z)## where ##f(z)## is analytic and ##f(0)## is not zero. ##sin(z)^2## has the form ##z^2 g(z)## where ##g(z)## is analytic and ##g(0)## is not zero. There may actually not be much series expansion to do.

Dick said:
You are probably better off actually working on the series expansion. Remember you only need the coefficient of the 1/z term. ##e^{4z}-1## has the form ##4z f(z)## where ##f(z)## is analytic and ##f(0)## is not zero. ##sin(z)^2## has the form ##z^2 g(z)## where ##g(z)## is analytic and ##g(0)## is not zero. There may actually not be much series expansion to do.

Hm. Expanding the numerator of [itex] f(z) = \frac{e^{4z} - 1}{sin^2(z)}[/itex] is easy, i.e. [itex] f(z) = \frac{1 + 4z + \frac{4^2z^2}{2} + ... \frac{4^nz^n}{n!} - 1}{sin^2(z)}.[/itex] I'm not sure how expanding sin2(z) in the denominator would allow me to find the z-1 coefficient.

Shackleford said:
Hm. Expanding the numerator of [itex] f(z) = \frac{e^{4z} - 1}{sin^2(z)}[/itex] is easy, i.e. [itex] f(z) = \frac{1 + 4z + \frac{4^2z^2}{2} + ... \frac{4^nz^n}{n!} - 1}{sin^2(z)}.[/itex] I'm not sure how expanding sin2(z) in the denominator would allow me to find the z-1 coefficient.

Ok, I'll spell it out a little more. I claim that your function can be written as ##\frac{4z f(x)}{z^2 g(z)}## where ##\frac{f(z)}{g(z)}## is analytic at ##z=0##. So ##\frac{f(z)}{g(z)}=a_0+a_1 z+...##. So the coefficient you are looking for is just ##4 a_0## and ##a_0=\frac{f(0)}{g(0)}##.

Dick said:
Ok, I'll spell it out a little more. I claim that your function can be written as ##\frac{4z f(x)}{z^2 g(z)}## where ##\frac{f(z)}{g(z)}## is analytic at ##z=0##. So ##\frac{f(z)}{g(z)}=a_0+a_1 z+...##. So the coefficient you are looking for is just ##4 a_0## and ##a_0=\frac{f(0)}{g(0)}##.

Okay. I think I follow you now. Of course, multiplying the analytic quotient [itex]\frac{f(z)}{g(z)}[/itex] by [itex]\frac{4z}{z^2}[/itex] gives me the n = -1 or z-1 coefficient in the Laurent expansion, which should just be [itex]4\frac{f(0)}{g(0)} = 4\frac{1}{1} = 4. [/itex]

1. What does "Find Res(0;f) for f (z)" mean?

The term "Res" stands for "residue" and it refers to the value of a complex function at a specific point, in this case at z=0. So, the question is asking for the residue of the function f(z) at z=0.

2. How do you find the residue of a function at a specific point?

To find the residue of a function at a specific point, you need to apply the Residue Theorem, which states that the residue at a point z0 is equal to the coefficient of the term (z-z0)^-1 in the Laurent series expansion of the function around that point.

3. What is the significance of finding the residue of a function at a point?

The residue of a function at a point plays a crucial role in complex analysis and has many applications, such as calculating integrals, evaluating limits, and solving differential equations.

4. Can the residue of a function at a point be negative?

Yes, the residue of a function at a point can be negative. The sign of the residue depends on the order of the pole at that point. If the pole is of order n, the residue will be negative if n is odd and positive if n is even.

5. Is it possible to find the residue of a function at a point using a calculator?

Yes, it is possible to find the residue of a function at a point using a calculator. Many scientific calculators have a "Residue" function that can be used to calculate the residue at a given point. However, for more complex functions, it may be necessary to use a computer program or software such as Mathematica or Matlab.