1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the resistance?

1. Sep 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using the smooth curve for V vs. I and find values for R for the seven values of V and I.

2. Relevant equations

P = VI
    R ≠ V/I

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got the slope of the tangent line and got .002Ω for each point... Doesn't seem like a correct value. Can someone tell me how to get R. It is hinted something about the tangent line. I can't use the formula R = V/I for some reason stated on the paper.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

attachment is illegible

4. Sep 24, 2013 #3
    Can you see it better now? I updated the attachment.

5. Sep 24, 2013 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, I still can't read it.

6. Sep 24, 2013 #5
    Okay. I've zoomed in the image if you are having a hard time reading it.

7. Sep 25, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I find this question bizarre. To the best of my knowledge, R = V/I by definition. They seem to want you to find the marginal resistance, i.e. ΔV/ΔI for some small change in voltage, but that is not the resistance of the lamp.

8. Sep 25, 2013 #7
    The resistance of the bulb increases as it gets hotter. As haruspex points out, what they seem to be looking for here is the incremental resistance dV/dI (since the relationship between V and I is non-linear).

Your data has some experimental uncertainty to it, so you need to fit a smooth curve to the data (of course, passing through the origin). You can use a French curve to do this, or you can do it with a graphics package to obtain a best fit using a low order (say 2 or 3 degree) polynomial. If you do it using a French curve, you can draw tangents to the smooth curve and obtain dV/dI from the slope of the tangent lines. If you do it with a graphics package, the package will provide the equation for the best fit polynomial, and you differentiate to get dV/dI.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted