Find the resistance?

Homework Statement

Using the smooth curve for V vs. I and find values for R for the seven values of V and I.

Homework Equations

P = VI
R ≠ V/I

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the slope of the tangent line and got .002Ω for each point... Doesn't seem like a correct value. Can someone tell me how to get R. It is hinted something about the tangent line. I can't use the formula R = V/I for some reason stated on the paper.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 322
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 254
  • 8798.jpg
    8798.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Can you see it better now? I updated the attachment.

Okay. I've zoomed in the image if you are having a hard time reading it.

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
I find this question bizarre. To the best of my knowledge, R = V/I by definition. They seem to want you to find the marginal resistance, i.e. ΔV/ΔI for some small change in voltage, but that is not the resistance of the lamp.

The resistance of the bulb increases as it gets hotter. As haruspex points out, what they seem to be looking for here is the incremental resistance dV/dI (since the relationship between V and I is non-linear).

Your data has some experimental uncertainty to it, so you need to fit a smooth curve to the data (of course, passing through the origin). You can use a French curve to do this, or you can do it with a graphics package to obtain a best fit using a low order (say 2 or 3 degree) polynomial. If you do it using a French curve, you can draw tangents to the smooth curve and obtain dV/dI from the slope of the tangent lines. If you do it with a graphics package, the package will provide the equation for the best fit polynomial, and you differentiate to get dV/dI.