Find the resultant vector made by 115 km at 80 degrees and 85 km at 15 degrees

In summary, the person is struggling with finding the resultant vector of two given vectors and is trying to use the graphing method or the law of cosines and law of sines. They ask for help and the conversation provides some tips and steps to solve the problem.
KatieJo
I have worked and worked at this problem and it is just not clicking. It is now that I wish geometry would have made sense to me.

I am trying to find the resultant vector made by 115 km at 80 degrees and 85 km at 15 degrees. I have been using the graphing method my teacher showed me. I want to use law of cosines or law of sines, but I have two unknowns. The answer is probably right under my nose. :cry:

If you could help me understand this problem, it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your help!

Katie Jo

Physics news on Phys.org
First find the Horizontal components, and the vertical components of each vector. Then you can add them to begin getting your new vector. After you have your new magnitutde you will need to find the angle it creates. You can just do the inverse function of tan If you want to find the angle. Oh and don't forget to give the directions. For example here is a random vector 200 Newtons [E 30 degrees N] or you can just up down left right.

Last edited:
Assuming you mean "80 degrees to the horizontal" and "15 degrees to the horizontal" (just saying "80 degrees" doesn't mean anything without a reference), then you can do it using the cosine law. If you were to continue the first vector's line, it still makes 80 degrees to the horizontal and so 80- 15= 65 degrees to the second vector. That means the inner angle between the two vectors is 180- 65= 115 degrees. You have a triangle with two sides of length 115 and 85 km and an angle of 115 degrees between them. The length of the resultant vector (opposite side) is given by x2= 1152+ 852- 2(115)(85)cos(115).

Once you have that you can use the sine law to find the angles.

1. What is a resultant vector?

A resultant vector is the single vector that represents the combination of two or more other vectors. It represents the overall effect or displacement caused by the individual vectors.

2. How do you find the resultant vector?

To find the resultant vector, you first need to break down the individual vectors into their horizontal and vertical components. Then, you can use trigonometric functions to find the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector.

3. What does "115 km at 80 degrees" mean?

"115 km at 80 degrees" refers to a vector with a magnitude of 115 km and a direction of 80 degrees measured from the horizontal axis in a counterclockwise direction.

4. How do you calculate the horizontal and vertical components of a vector?

The horizontal component can be found by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the cosine of the direction angle. The vertical component can be found by multiplying the magnitude by the sine of the direction angle.

5. Can you have a negative resultant vector?

Yes, a negative resultant vector means that the overall displacement is in the opposite direction of the positive direction. This can occur when the individual vectors cancel each other out or when one vector is larger than the other in the opposite direction.