Can You Find the Roots of a Complex Equation?

• Thread starter Physicsissuef
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
In summary, "finding the roots" in the context of Y^6+1 refers to solving for the values of Y that make the equation equal to 0. This equation is a 6th degree polynomial with 6 complex roots, which can be found using algebraic methods such as factoring or numerical methods such as graphing. There are also some special cases for finding the roots, such as the presence of at least one real root and the absence of complex conjugate pairs. However, not all of the roots can be found exactly and some may require approximation methods.
Physicsissuef

Homework Statement

[tex]y^6+1=0[/tex]

Find the roots of this equation. (They are complex numbers)

Homework Equations

none.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]y^6+1=0[/tex]

[tex](zi)^6+1=0[/tex]

[tex]z^6-1=0[/tex]

[tex]y_1=z_1i=1i=i[/itex]

How will I find other 5 roots?

Physics news on Phys.org
You would use DeMoivre's Theorem for roots, applying it to the six complex roots of -1. BTW, you should be able to find a second one right off...

Write in polar form and use De Moivre's theorem.

1. What does "finding the roots" mean in the context of Y^6+1?

Finding the roots refers to solving for the values of Y that make the equation Y^6+1 equal to 0. These values are called the roots or solutions of the equation.

2. How many roots does Y^6+1 have?

Since Y^6+1 is a 6th degree polynomial, it will have 6 complex roots. However, some of these roots may be repeated or have a multiplicity greater than 1.

3. How can I find the roots for Y^6+1?

To find the roots of Y^6+1, you can use algebraic methods such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or the cubic formula. You can also use numerical methods such as graphing or using a calculator or computer program.

4. Are there any special cases for finding the roots of Y^6+1?

Yes, since Y^6+1 is a polynomial with an even degree and a positive leading coefficient, it will always have at least one real root. Additionally, since there is no term with an odd power of Y, there will not be any complex conjugate pairs of roots.

5. Can all of the roots for Y^6+1 be found exactly?

No, not all of the roots for Y^6+1 can be found exactly. Some roots may be irrational or complex numbers that cannot be expressed exactly as a decimal or fraction. In these cases, we can use approximate methods to find a decimal approximation for the root.