Find the Schottky diode barrier height and the ideality....

In summary, the Schottky diode barrier height refers to the energy barrier at the interface between a metal and a semiconductor material and is measured by applying a reverse bias voltage to the diode. It is important to know this height as it affects the performance and characteristics of the diode. The ideality factor of a Schottky diode is determined by plotting the logarithm of the current versus voltage at different temperatures. Various factors such as material choice, purity, temperature, and manufacturing process can affect the barrier height and ideality factor. These parameters are crucial in practical applications as they help determine optimal operating conditions for the diode in devices such as solar cells, rectifiers, and amplifiers.
Poirot

Homework Statement

Using the diode equation with moderate forward bias, show numerically how to find the Schottky diode barrier height and the ideality factor via a graphical plot.

Homework Equations

I = I0e(eV/nkT)
I0= AA*T2e-eφb/kT

with n= ideality factor
and φb= Barrier height

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to look at the plot of ln(I) against V and assumed this would be a straight line graph and so the gradient can be rearranged such that n= eV/kT (ln(I/I0)).

And also they y intercept would just be ln (I0) and I can use this to rearrange and find the barrier height.

I'm not sure if any of this is right, I don't like that I've had to assume a straight line graph, any guidance would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for your question!

To find the Schottky diode barrier height and ideality factor using the diode equation with moderate forward bias, you can follow these steps:

1. Plot the diode current (I) on a logarithmic scale against the diode voltage (V) on a linear scale.
2. Use the diode equation (I = I0e(eV/nkT)) to calculate the expected values of the diode current for different values of diode voltage.
3. Plot the expected values of diode current on the same graph as the experimental values.
4. The ideality factor (n) can be calculated by finding the slope of the linear portion of the graph (at moderate forward bias) using the equation n = eV/kT (ln(I/I0)).
5. The Schottky diode barrier height (φb) can be calculated by finding the y-intercept of the linear portion of the graph, using the equation ln(I0) = -eφb/kT.

It is important to note that the diode equation is an approximation and may not perfectly fit the experimental data. Therefore, the values of ideality factor and barrier height calculated may not be exact, but they will give a good estimate of the true values.

1. What is a Schottky diode barrier height and how is it measured?

A Schottky diode barrier height refers to the energy barrier that exists at the interface between a metal and a semiconductor material. It is measured by applying a reverse bias voltage to the diode and measuring the current that flows through it.

2. Why is it important to know the Schottky diode barrier height?

Knowing the Schottky diode barrier height is important because it affects the performance and characteristics of the diode. It determines the threshold voltage for conduction and can also impact the speed and efficiency of the diode.

3. How is the ideality factor of a Schottky diode determined?

The ideality factor of a Schottky diode is typically determined by plotting the logarithm of the diode current versus the diode voltage at different temperatures. The slope of this plot is used to calculate the ideality factor, which is a measure of how closely the diode behaves like an ideal diode.

4. What factors can affect the Schottky diode barrier height and ideality factor?

The Schottky diode barrier height and ideality factor can be affected by various factors such as the choice of metal and semiconductor materials, the purity of the materials, the temperature, and the manufacturing process used to create the diode.

5. How can the Schottky diode barrier height and ideality factor be used in practical applications?

The Schottky diode barrier height and ideality factor are important parameters to consider when designing and using diodes in practical applications. They can help determine the optimal operating conditions for the diode and ensure its reliability and efficiency in various electronic devices such as solar cells, rectifiers, and amplifiers.