Imaginary Can We Find the Least Time?

In summary, the problem involves a cyclist trying to find the minimum time it takes to travel a distance of 240m with deceleration to come to a stop at point B. The relevant equations are s=ut+1/2at^2 and v=u+at. The conversation discusses different possible solutions and ultimately concludes that the total time taken is at least 22 seconds, with a break applied for 4 seconds and a distance traveled of 24m.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
See attached.
Relevant Equations
##s##=##ut##+##\frac {1}{2}####at^2##
This is the problem;

1639648028622.png
I tried using;
and ended up with, ##240## =## 12t -1.5t^2## clearly we have an imaginary solution here and therefore this may not be correct?
My wild guess is that the least time (Without deceleration) should take at least, ##t##=##\frac {240}{12}####=20##seconds

Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
Homework Statement:: See attached.
Relevant Equations:: ##s##=##ut##+##\frac {1}{2}##at^2##

This is the problem;

View attachment 294254I tried using;
and ended up with, ##240## =## 12t -1.5t^2## clearly we have an imaginary solution here and therefore this may not be correct?
My wild guess is that the least time (Without deceleration) should take at least, ##t##=##\frac {240}{12}####=20##seconds
Okay, if he doesn't brake, then he takes ##20s## to travel ##240m## at ##12m/s##.

But, he needs to brake and come to a stop at ##B##.

PeroK said:
Okay, if he doesn't brake, then he takes ##20s## to travel ##240m## at ##12m/s##.

But, he needs to brake and come to a stop at ##B##.
True, I can't seem to find the solution. I have the textbook solution with me...I need input...I have taken a break just to refresh and think about this question...

chwala said:
True, I can't seem to find the solution. I have the textbook solution with me...I need input...I have taken a break just to refresh and think about this question...
If you were the cyclist, what would you do?

PeroK said:
If you were the cyclist, what would you do?
Of course decelerate...at which we have ##v=0## at point ##B##. We can't use ##v = u +at##, here as ##t=4##, is misleading.

chwala said:
Of course decelerate...at which we have ##v=0## at point ##B##. We can't use ##v = u +at##, here as ##t=4##, is misleading.
When would you hit the brakes is the question?

PS do you know about the concept of "stopping distance", as it relates to road vehicles?

PeroK said:
When would you hit the brakes is the question?
I need to think about this...:biggrin:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh i got it! Let me post my working.

Now when the brakes are applied ( retardation)...leading to point ##B##, this takes a total time of ##t=4## as earlier indicated in post ##6##. Now distance traveled in the last ##4## seconds is,
##48-24= 24 ## metres
Therefore the first portion of the journey takes ##t##= ##\frac {216}{12}=18##seconds.

Therefore the cyclist will travel atleast ##18+4=22## seconds. Phew!:cool:

Likes PeroK

1. What is "Imaginary Can We Find the Least Time?"

"Imaginary Can We Find the Least Time?" is a hypothetical scenario in which a person or object is traveling through a series of obstacles or challenges in the shortest amount of time possible.

2. Why is finding the least time important?

Finding the least time is important because it allows us to optimize efficiency and effectiveness in various tasks and activities. It also helps us understand the limits of our abilities and push ourselves to improve.

3. How do scientists study "Imaginary Can We Find the Least Time?"

Scientists use mathematical models and simulations to study "Imaginary Can We Find the Least Time?" They also conduct experiments and collect data to analyze and understand the factors that affect the time it takes to complete a task.

4. Can "Imaginary Can We Find the Least Time?" be applied in real life?

Yes, the concept of finding the least time can be applied in real life situations such as in sports, transportation, and problem-solving. It can also be used in various industries to improve efficiency and productivity.

5. What are some challenges in finding the least time?

Some challenges in finding the least time include identifying the most efficient route or strategy, accounting for unexpected obstacles or variables, and balancing speed with accuracy. It also requires a thorough understanding of the task at hand and the ability to adapt to changing circumstances.